Fish compatible with shrimp to eat mosquito larvae

ShrimpLuke

Reaction score
I recently set up a shrimp tank and found out that I have mosquito larvae in the top of my tank. Although they are apparently harmless to my tank and shrimp, what fish can I add which will eat the larvae and do little to no harm to my shrimp.
Thanks,
luke

CHJ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is this an outdoor tank? Lots of open windows?
Anything that will eat mosquito larvae will eat baby shrimp as they are the same size and possible equally delicious.
If you want to save the babies you net the larvae out (unless you have lots of floating plants). If losing a couple babies is just fine then you have options.
Got a favorite color? Got a favorite fish look?

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Microrasbora species like boraras, chilI rasbora, or kubotais... they usually hang more in the upper and are small so only baby shrimp would be eaten but not too bad if you have lots of hiding places

KingJamal2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Most fishes will eat mosquito larvae. I personally haven’t had a problem with mosquito larvae, but from what I’ve heard, almost all fish will eat mosquito larvae, as long as their mouths are big enough.

CichlidJynx

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ShrimpLuke said:
I recently set up a shrimp tank and found out that I have mosquito larvae in the top of my tank. Although they are apparently harmless to my tank and shrimp, what fish can I add which will eat the larvae and do little to no harm to my shrimp.
Thanks,
luke
I live in Florida and can send you mosquito fish! I have them in my back yard!
B52EFB2D-2C2B-48E5-949E-830734DCF925.jpeg

New Threads