Fish Compatibility For New Aquarium

Akbar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hello all,

I was wondering if the following fish are compatible to form a good aquarium stock.

Flower horn
Rainbow peacock chiclids
Arowana
Bichir

Have seen DIY King have this combintion
Except he has no chiclids instead he got stingrays.

Thinking of building a new monster fish tank. 1.5m would be descent to start with?

Any other combination ideas anyone?

Protim Sarkar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
King of DIY's tank was 2000 gallon. If you can make it then you can keep those fish. But I am not sure about the Peacock Cichlids. Lets wait what others say.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Flowerhorns are very aggressive, and a very big tank would be needed to keep them with other fish. Peacocks are rift lake cichlids, and in general, should not be combined with non-rift lake fish. They are also aggressive. I'm not sure how a bichir would do with a FH, but if the FH bullies the aro, he will likely jump (very powerful jumpers). So I would not keep that combo.

What fish is the one you really want to keep?

Paradise fish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I personally would try adding them together unless you have as much experience with monster fish as the King himself. Also, you should know that Joey himself said that a minimum size for a single arowana kept by itself is 8'x3' (about 2.4 m by 1 m), with a height not really important as long as it covers the fish (his earlier tanks are at least 2 feet tall).

Akbar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
TexasDomer said:
Flowerhorns are very aggressive, and a very big tank would be needed to keep them with other fish. Peacocks are rift lake cichlids, and in general, should not be combined with non-rift lake fish. They are also aggressive. I'm not sure how a bichir would do with a FH, but if the FH bullies the aro, he will likely jump (very powerful jumpers). So I would not keep that combo.

Bi
TexasDomer said:

Bichr with flowerhorn

I would like to get a flowehorn as I did a mistake of showing these Frank video to my kids. Now their tetra community tank is of no interest to them and they want a flower horn right away. I was looking for a bigger tank myself so was wondering if I could get baby fish of the afore mentioned and raise them together.
Our local fish stores have got some great stock recently and I am contemplating an upgrade. I would like to contact Joey but not sure what are his contact details and you gus are equally good so reaching out for some ideas. 2.5m space is not possible for an aquarium. I spotted a 1.5m the largest at the local pet market. Appreciate flower horns can grow upto a foot long. Also, I was of the opinon that bigger tanks are of less maintenance however bigger fish means higher nitrates and waste. So are bigger tanks really worth it?

Attachments

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes, bigger tanks are worth it. They dilute the waste more and provide more swimming space for the fish.

Something like 48" x 18" would be okay for a single flowerhorn though.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom