Fish Compatibility And Stocking.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Kat129, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Kat129

Kat129Valued MemberMember

Hi everyone.

Starting to think about what fish I can keep in my new tank when it has finally finished cycling.

My tank is 64l (approx 14 UK gallons, 17 US gallons) running an Interpet CF2 filter.

I don't want to overstock but all the fish I like seem to prefer living in groups so trying to balance everything out. My LFS has assigned a points tally to all of the fish it stocks to help stop people overstocking. Based on their points I have come up with this list (my tank can take 32 points worth of fish apparently). Just wanted to run it through here in case there is something I have missed (quite likely)

1 male betta (3 points)
    8 neon tetras (1 point each)
    6 rummynose tetras (2 points each)
    8 endler guppies (1 point each)
    Cherry Red Shrimp (0 points each)

I make that 31 out of 32 points.

Don't worry I won't be adding them all at once.

Thoughts anyone?

PS. I am aware that baby shrimp may become a meal for the betta. I am not setting the tank up to breed so if that happens then it happens.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2017
  2. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I would say that was very overstocked.

Neon tetras and rummynose tetras both need 20 USG minimum.
    You would be very lucky if the betta got along with any of those fish in that tank size.
    Neons need cooler water than bettas.

How about this stocking instead
    8 CPD or ember tetras
    5 Male endlers or 3 male guppies
    10 Cherry shrimp (though they will breed)
    5 Amano shrimp
    1 Nerite snail

3. Hill Dweller

Hill DwellerWell Known MemberMember

I'm totally fascinated by "nano fish" at the moment. I'm enjoying my 10 ember tetras very much. I'm plotting ways to get celestial pearl danios and chili rasbora into the house too. They are amazing!!

4. JakeM2004

JakeM2004New MemberMember

I wouldn't advise putting in the male Betta if you don't have a tank to put him in if he is agressive, because male Betta's are generally agressive fish.

5. JeffK

JeffKWell Known MemberMember

Or just do about 12 endlers with red cherry shrimp for the bottom. That would make for a very colorful and very lively tank!

6. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I agree with BD. What are the dimensions of the tank?

7. OP
    OP
    Kat129

61cm X 35cm X 28cm (length X height X depth)

8. thepoweranga

thepowerangaNew MemberMember

I've had a tank with similar dimensions and stocking was
    8 rummynose tetra
    6 phantom tetra
    4 ottos
    It worked really well but I got a bigger tank given and moved them all in. I can tell the were all a lot happier although the were great in the smaller tank too

Gotta have a good filter though and keep on top of water changes.

9. BottomDweller

All those fish need 20 gallons+ and the ottos need to be in groups of 6+

10. OP
    OP
    Kat129

So what fish CAN you keep in a 64l (17 US gallon) tank?

11. BottomDweller

12. OP
    OP
    Kat129

Thank you :)

That is actually really helpful. Lots of lovely fish to choose from - just hope my lfs stocks some of them.

13. thepoweranga

thepowerangaNew MemberMember

Yeah I realised that hence why I was so glad to get the bigger tank :)

14. Lauri

LauriNew MemberMember

I have 4 corys 5 rasboras with a betta and a few snails overstocked waiting for a 15 to finish cycling. They all get along perfect and expect they will be even happier in their new home which is about the same size as yours. :) Bettas can be very nippy but I put mine in last and no problems for a few months now. They are small and do need their new home soon though. I started by researching by picking the main fish I wanted and tried to get others with similar compatibility. Some people are very specific about what you can and can't mix but I feel like you can find a happy medium for a lot of mixes. I researched each of their parameters and I read a lot from other people who had tried similar set ups and tried to be as aware as possible of any potential issues. I had a similar stock up for about a year before this one but went on vacation and came back to a sick tank.

15. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

This has the same footprint as a 20 high, you don't need to stock it as you would a 10g.

16. OP
    OP
    Kat129

Hi.

Still thinking about how to stock my 64l (17 US gallon) tank when it finally finishes cycling.

My current plan is to add a school of neon tetras and a school of endlers. I just think that I need 1 or 2 more fish. I don't think I can add another school as I will be overstocked.

Does anyone have any ideas for fish that would work well in my tank?

17. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

What are the dimensions of the tank?

18. OP
    OP
    Kat129

61cm x 37cm x 28cm (lxhxd)

19. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

What about a school of kuhli loaches for the bottom?

Endlers aren't schooling fish, by the way. How many neons and how many endlers are you going to get?

20. OP
    OP
    Kat129

Probably 8-10 of each.

Sorry. Forgot to say that I am also hoping to get some shrimp for the bottom of the tank.