Fish Compatability

silver6

Reaction score

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I heard that sometimes Dwarf Gouramis attack guppies. I also think the Angelfish will eat the neon/cardinal tetras when they reach their full size. Neon/Cardinal tetras may also nip the guppy(s) fins'.

smillermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
The angelfish will get quite big, mine is around 6 inches from top fin to bottom. He started with neons when he was small but as he got bigger, every morning I would find one less neon. They are night hunters! I would think along the lines of the cardinals instead of the neons as they are as pretty but bigger, forgoe the guppies and the other combo should be fine! The barbs, rasboras, cardinals, and cories do like a school. I try to keep at least 4 cories together as they like the company of thier own. I have a school of 4 Panda cories and boy, they are fun to watch! Your Gourami and Angelfish will also be okay together!. I would keep to one angelfish.

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking you may also want to consider adding a few more Mollies and Swordtails, because when it comes to those species, one is the loneliest number.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
silver6 said:
Hi, I did some investigating on the web site to find some interesting fish to put in my first 53gallon(200ltr) fish tank. Can someone tell me if the; Dwarf Gourami, Cory Catfish, Neon Tetra, Guppies, Angelfish, Cherry barb, Harlequin Rasbora and the Cardinal Tetra could be added safely and in what numbers to my fish tank, with only one molly and one swordtail already in there with a foot long hollow ship added.
Hi Silver,

Most of the fish you've mentioned (Angels, Gouramis, Harlequins, Cherry Barbs, Neon Tetras and Cardinal Tetras) are OK for a 53 gallon tank, only some of them should rather not be mixed. And these are Angelfish and Gouramis. As for the information about Guppies and Cories, you should ask someone knowledgeable about them, as I know little about them. Instead of having Gouramis and Angels, choose only one species: either Gouramis or Angels.

Now, it's been mentioned that Angels may eat the smaller fish when they grow up. This may or may not be true, depending on the situation. I have adult and large angelfish that have been raised with Neon Tetras from babies. As a result they basically ignore the Neons and I have never seen them even attempting to attack any of my Neons. BUT, if the Angels are raised only with other Angels, or with other larger fish, and then - when they're fully grown - they are put into one tank with small fish like Neon Tetras, the Angels may well regard Neon Tetras as food in this case. So my advice would be: if you want Angelfish with other small fish, get the angels while they're very young and still small.

Say, two angels (young ones, as mentioned above) would be great with, say, 6 harlequins and 6 cherry barbs, plus 6 of some other tetras, in a 53 gallon tank. Or substitute the angels with gouramis. Even with that list, you'd still probably have space for more fish if you wanted. Only, of course, always remember not to overstock.

Good Luck

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom