Fish Compatability

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by TombedOrchestra, Apr 20, 2018.

1. TombedOrchestraValued MemberMember

Checking a few things...

I have a 55 gal. Currently has 2 guppies, 2 mollies, 2 platties.

Looking to add 2 cory catfish, 2 more mollies, 2 more platties, 4 more guppies.

Is that TOO much to add at once? Or could I add more?

Any other suggestions for tank mates?

My water is pH 8.5 ... I know it's hard. I believe cory catfish can go up to 8 pH... would mine be OK?

Thanks!

2. CloudTheFluffyValued MemberMember

Up the Corys to six of one species and your good. If your getting Cory cats then make sure your gravel is very smooth or you have sand or else there stomachs and barbels can get damaged and infected.

3. Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

2 cories is not enough to add at once, they need at least 6 in a shoal to be happy. As long as you keep your tank about 75-80 degrees, you should be good with all your fish.

Tetras would make good additional tankmates. Neon and Cardinal tetras are nice colorful additions, and with a shoal of about 8-10 should be a cool looking shoal in the mid-upper water column.

4. TombedOrchestraValued MemberMember

Can 6 cory catfish even live in a 55? It seems like they would be cramped if they get to be 4-6" ??

Also, I do have gravel... but it's not like the super smooth round kind... I guess some parts are pointy.. Probably not best to have a cory catfish? .... ... Are there other cories that would do well? I saw small catfish at the store too... eclipse?

5. CraniumRexWell Known MemberMember

I'm unfamiliar with platys and mollies in terms of bioload, but I think the number you can add at one time depends on

1. How established is your tank?
    2. How much filtration do you have?
    3. Are the fish juveniles? (ie. how much bioload)
    4. How vigilant will you be with monitoring your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates (or just doing water changes?)

These things combined will determine how many new fish you can add at once. Slow and steady generally wins the race.

Do you plan on any quarantine?

Fish can be okay outside of recommended pH but 8.5 is pretty darn high. If your source fish are accustomed to the same local water (ie. the store has had them for a bit and acclimated them to the same water pH), you could be okay. Have you considered cutting your tap water with RO/DI to get the pH down a tad?

6. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Mollies, Platys usually prefer harder water anyway. Usually preferring 8.5 tops, but they are very hardy and should be able to make the adjustment just fine. Many fish can adjust to ph much more efficiently than other aquatic animals can. (inverts etc.) I run over 6 livebearing breeding tanks (all planted except one 10 gal. for a QT tank) and that should be plenty of room for you and likely your inevitable fry as well. However, what's more important is the base frequency to which you're introducing--you don't wanna plow too many at once. And yeah, Corys usually do better in 5-6+ groups. So point and case being, perhaps add 4-5 fish at a time, every other week or longer, to ensure your bioload isn't super overhwhelmed! Maintaining the established balance is key.

7. Discus-TangWell Known MemberMember

This is what I suggest:

8x corydoras
    6x Guppy
    4x molly
    4x platy
    6-8 of any tetra

"Can 6 cory catfish even live in a 55? It seems like they would be cramped if they get to be 4-6" ??"

Corys could reside in a 55 easily.

8. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

I concur with Discus-Tang. Perfect stock call there! Although, in the end...ya know......it's entirely up to you. As you probably, likely know, you're gonna have babies as well, all inhabitants will likely love that tank size then!

9. TombedOrchestraValued MemberMember

I think from discussion and my research, cory catfish are not a good addition to my tank. Primarily because my substrate is not fine... it's gravel, with some pointy ones.

Any suggestions on any other bottom dwellers? I would like to add a bottom dweller of some kind that could work with the tank. I always wanted a pleco, but everything I've researched says they do not do well in higher pH water such as mine around 8.5 ish.

10. Discus-TangWell Known MemberMember

What about kuhli loaches?

11. Abby565Valued MemberMember

Kuhli loaches also need soft substrate.

Cories don't get up to 4-6"! It depends on the species. The largest only get up to like 3.5 inches. The species of Cory i have only reaches 1 inch. But they do need soft substrates.

A pleco should be ok, you could get a bristlenose if you get a cooler water tetra.

12. watermelon46Valued MemberMember

Need 6 cories for them to have maximum activity and be comfortable. 5 would be fine too. Khuli loaches? I wouldn't recommend them. In addition to all your other fish, it would be too much. Why not stick to your original planned set-up (but with 5 - 6 cories, of course)? If you want another fish, I recommend scarlet badis. Good luck!

13. Discus-TangWell Known MemberMember