20 Gallon Tank Fish Combinations

Ruby M.

New Member
Member
Messages
16
Reaction score
1
Experience
2 years
Hello! I recently got a 20 gallon high freshwater heated tank. (24 x 12 x 16) I am in the process of cycling it, so this would be for later, but I was wondering is a combination of 1 dwarf gourami, 6 white finned Rosy tetras, 4 Cory catfish and 1 snail be too much? If so, what would you recommend instead to keep it as close as possible? If not, how much more of what could I add?
 

mlash

Active Member
Member
Messages
132
Reaction score
65
Location
California
Experience
Just started
Ruby M. said:
Hello! I recently got a 20 gallon high freshwater heated tank. (24 x 12 x 16) I am in the process of cycling it, so this would be for later, but I was wondering is a combination of 1 dwarf gourami, 6 white finned Rosy tetras, 4 Cory catfish and 1 snail be too much? If so, what would you recommend instead to keep it as close as possible? If not, how much more of what could I add?
I think the Cory Catfish should be kept in groups of 5 or more and they grow to about 4 inches so they would have to be re-homed eventually. You could have 4 "Bandit Cory" fish that would be better suited for the tank since they only grow about 2 inches.
 

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,267
Reaction score
2,546
Location
Melbourne
Experience
More than 10 years
mlash said:
I think the Cory Catfish should be kept in groups of 5 or more and they grow to about 4 inches so they would have to be re-homed eventually. You could have 4 "Bandit Cory" fish that would be better suited for the tank since they only grow about 2 inches.
It really depends on the species of cory, most don't obtain sizes of 4 inches except for C. barbatus.... and stay around the 2-3 inch mark (and 3 inches is pretty generous!)
 

SharkBaitOohHannah

Active Member
Member
Messages
84
Reaction score
40
Experience
1 year
I think you'd be okay if you introduce them slowly. I'd be a tad bit worried about the cory catfish in a high just because they like a bit more surface area. Still, as long as your tank isn't too full of decor covering the substrate, they should be okay. Depending on the variety of corydoras, it might be a little overstocked, so add with caution. I usually like to budget about 3 gallons to every two tetras when it comes to bioload, so for 6, that'd be about 9 gallons. For the 1-3 inch varieties of corey cats, I'd budget about 2 per fish, so 8 gallons. Since dwarf gouramis can grow to be a little over 3 inches, I think your tank could just barely handle it, maybe with slightly more frequent water changes. But, as always, plants and filter make a big difference. If you want to understock more, I'd suggest choosing two of your three varieties and the snails. Although I love cory catfish, for that tank I'd probably go with the dwarf gourami, the snail, and tetras. You could also keep a larger school of tetras if you do this, which might be neat. Just a thought. However, I understand not wanting to skip the corey cats!
 

ystrout

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,526
Reaction score
920
Location
San Diego
Experience
4 years
I wouldn't do a gourami. I have one in my 75G tank and he loves the size and swims the entire tank all day. They're relatively large and very intelligent, so I think he would be bored in a 20G high.

They also can get territorial and might nip at your other fish when they get too close to his 'property' which isn't a problem in a larger tank, but can be an issue in a 20 gallon high since there isn't a ton of real estate.

I think about 5 guppies in exchange for the gouramI would suit you well. They're active, but not super strong distance swimmers like danios and gouramis. They'd probably do very well in a 20 tall.
 

mlash

Active Member
Member
Messages
132
Reaction score
65
Location
California
Experience
Just started
SharkBaitOohHannah said:
I think you'd be okay if you introduce them slowly. I'd be a tad bit worried about the cory catfish in a high just because they like a bit more surface area. Still, as long as your tank isn't too full of decor covering the substrate, they should be okay. Depending on the variety of corydoras, it might be a little overstocked, so add with caution. I usually like to budget about 3 gallons to every two tetras when it comes to bioload, so for 6, that'd be about 9 gallons. For the 1-3 inch varieties of corey cats, I'd budget about 2 per fish, so 8 gallons. Since dwarf gouramis can grow to be a little over 3 inches, I think your tank could just barely handle it, maybe with slightly more frequent water changes. But, as always, plants and filter make a big difference. If you want to understock more, I'd suggest choosing two of your three varieties and the snails. Although I love cory catfish, for that tank I'd probably go with the dwarf gourami, the snail, and tetras. You could also keep a larger school of tetras if you do this, which might be neat. Just a thought. However, I understand not wanting to skip the corey cats!
I agree with you on the snails instead of the corys. I only have snails in my 20gal long for a cleanup crew and they do a great job.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
162
Guests online
3,051
Total visitors
3,213

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom