Fish Combinations 20 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Ruby M., Jul 9, 2019.

1. Ruby M.

Ruby M.New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    2 years
    Hello! I recently got a 20 gallon high freshwater heated tank. (24 x 12 x 16) I am in the process of cycling it, so this would be for later, but I was wondering is a combination of 1 dwarf gourami, 6 white finned Rosy tetras, 4 Cory catfish and 1 snail be too much? If so, what would you recommend instead to keep it as close as possible? If not, how much more of what could I add?

2. mlash

mlashValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +43
    Experience:
    Just started
    I think the Cory Catfish should be kept in groups of 5 or more and they grow to about 4 inches so they would have to be re-homed eventually. You could have 4 "Bandit Cory" fish that would be better suited for the tank since they only grow about 2 inches.

3. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,130
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    It really depends on the species of cory, most dont obtain sizes of 4 inches except for C. barbatus.... and stay around the 2-3 inch mark (and 3 inches is pretty generous!)

4. SharkBaitOohHannah

SharkBaitOohHannahValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +21
    Experience:
    Just started
    I think you'd be okay if you introduce them slowly. I'd be a tad bit worried about the cory catfish in a high just because they like a bit more surface area. Still, as long as your tank isn't too full of decor covering the substrate, they should be okay. Depending on the variety of corydoras, it might be a little overstocked, so add with caution. I usually like to budget about 3 gallons to every two tetras when it comes to bioload, so for 6, that'd be about 9 gallons. For the 1-3 inch varieties of corey cats, I'd budget about 2 per fish, so 8 gallons. Since dwarf gouramis can grow to be a little over 3 inches, I think your tank could just barely handle it, maybe with slightly more frequent water changes. But, as always, plants and filter make a big difference. If you want to understock more, I'd suggest choosing two of your three varieties and the snails. Although I love cory catfish, for that tank I'd probably go with the dwarf gourami, the snail, and tetras. You could also keep a larger school of tetras if you do this, which might be neat. Just a thought. However, I understand not wanting to skip the corey cats! :D

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  5. ystrout

ystroutWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +750
    Experience:
    4 years
    I wouldn't do a gourami. I have one in my 75G tank and he loves the size and swims the entire tank all day. They're relatively large and very intelligent, so I think he would be bored in a 20G high.

They also can get territorial and might nip at your other fish when they get too close to his 'property' which isn't a problem in a larger tank, but can be an issue in a 20 gallon high since there isn't a ton of real estate.

I think about 5 guppies in exchange for the gourami would suit you well. They're active, but not super strong distance swimmers like danios and gouramis. They'd probably do very well in a 20 tall.

6. mlash

mlashValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +43
    Experience:
    Just started
    I agree with you on the snails instead of the corys. I only have snails in my 20gal long for a cleanup crew and they do a great job.