Fish colours

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Hevic, Apr 14, 2010.

1. HevicNew MemberMember

I've got a bunch of comet fry, that are between 3-4 months old now (do they still count as fry?)

Out of the 4 i've kept for myself, one is a brilliant orange with black spots (i'd say calico, we have a few of those), and the other (the sick one who was being bullied by the others before i got him) is silvery brown. They are both about the same size, and are about 4mths old (they are both <2inches long)

Of the other 2 smaller ones (also being bullied/sick) one recently died :( but it was a beautiful gold colour, and the other small one is brown.
    I'd say the smaller ones are up to a month younger. (about 1inch long)

My main question is, when do goldfish get their first colours, and where does colour generally start from? the nose? the tails? the body? random spots?

Does illness affect when they get their colours? I question this because of the tiny gold one, when the bigger one is i assume still uncoloured (or may end up white, who knows?)

Also, because there are so many fry during spawning, are many of them genetically poor in order to keep the fitter ones alive? We didnt cull any, but the ones that have made it to be about 2 inches are all quite beautiful, where as most that have died have stumpy/disformed fins.

Tell me what you think anyway :)

2. Tana

TanaValued MemberMember

I have found with my comet fry, it is survival of the fittest (which is why they lay so many eggs) and I have some in the pond that after two years, are just now turning, usually starting on the lower belly and working it's way up. I've had breeders tell me they would turn in 2 months but it hasn't been the case with some of mine, so I just chalk it down to survival instincts in the fish themselves.

3. OP
    OP
    H

HevicNew MemberMember

Thats what i thought Tana, I think I put myself in hard place by trying to care for the ones that just arent going to make it, then get really stressed when they dont :p
    I wonder what colour this guy will be, he seems a lot healthier since i saved him (yay!) but hes just a plain fish colour. He might end up white, but i think he'll probably go gold.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice