Fish Coloration

1. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I bought some beautiful Blue Balloon Rams and German Blue Rams at the LFS.
    At the store my Balloon RAMs looked really blue, now they look a little washed out...
    All the fish in the tank are healthy, my parameters are fine, it is just the colors are not AS bright. Although they are still beautiful.
    Am I doing something wrong?:;dete

2. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Do you know what kind of lighting the store used for their tanks? That can have a big effect. My betta looks like a dark red blob in the 10 gallon tank with incandescent lights, but he's beautiful in the 55 gallon tank with fluorescent lights; the red is brighter and the blues really stand out.

3. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

:;frog4I have the bulbs that came with the aquarium. I know nothing about lighting, should I be upgrading the bulbs? What do you think?

4. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I also know nothing of lighting :) I'd like to modify my 10 gallon tank's hood to take fluorescent lights, because they look so much better than incandescents in my opinion. Hopefully someone with more knowledge about lighting can help :) (If that's even what it is.)

5. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

It could very well be lighting. They sell CFL bulbs for aquariums that can replace the incandecent lights, I have them on my 5, 10 and 15gal hoods that came with incandecent lights. I get the bulbs at walmart, but they carry them at petsmart too.

6. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

CLF? What?

7. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Compact florecent lighting. Like the corkscrew energy saving bulbs you can buy for your room lights, only these are made for aquariums, they are shaped a bit different and are long and skinny to fit in the area the incandecent bulbs where in.

8. ploopy Member Member

I have cfl's on all 3 of my 10 gallons.It made a big difference.

9. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

:;hi1About how much do the CLF's cost? Just curious.

10. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I don't know about the CFLs that are made specifically for tanks (like Lexi was talking about...I need to look into those!) but you can find CFLs for home use at stores like Home Depot for pretty cheap. Obviously higher wattages or strange base sizes (candelabra, etc). We bought all CFLs when we moved in, and they weren't too expensive (not too expensive for poor college students, anyway :)).

They're super energy efficient, so don't look for one based off the wattage. For example, a 50 watt incandescent bulb puts out the same amount of light as a CFL with only a few watts (that was awkwardly worded; hopefully it makes sense). When trying to determine proper CFL lighting for plants, I think you need to look at lumens rather than watts.

11. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

:;smack Okay, now this is going to sound really stupid but here goes..... the light bulb in an aquarium fixture takes a certain type on bottom or base for the light. I can't just go buy regular CFL lights and put them in the top to my tank. I need a special bulb right?? Or a differant hood??

12. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

It is a special bulb for aquariums it has the same base as the incandecent lights. My walmart carries them in the fish supply section right next to the replacement incandecent bulbs.

13. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Of course that doesn't sound stupid! I don't know anything about lighting either :) I think that's what Lexi was talking about; at PetSmart of Walmart you can buy CFLs to fit in your incandescent hood (assuming your tank uses incandescents now. You know, normal lightbulbs with filament that get hot and heat up the tank).

14. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

The fish store may have used "Color Enhancing" bulbs. They have kind of a pinkish hue (but I'm not 100% sure since I'm colorblind). They generally improve the color of the fish some. They sell those bulbs at my local PetSmart.

15. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I missed this question at frist, sorry! I pay about $5.50 per bulb at walmart the ones at my Petsmart are around $7 or $8.