Fish College?

KittyFish62
I've been wondering... has there ever been a college that teaches things like the stuff we all know about caring for fish and about them?

CowBoYReX
Ichthyology and aquatic biology

Flowingfins
Ichthyology is more along the lines of fish in the wild, not necessarily how to care for them in an aquarium. I am unsure about aquatic biology, I haven't looked into that. Ichthyology is not very popular, and is surprisingly hard to find colleges for.

Wraithen
Ish? Marine biology etc.

Teishokue
What you have to do is use that knowledge and apply it.

Aquaphobia
Ichthyology is more along the lines of fish in the wild, not necessarily how to care for them in an aquarium. I am unsure about aquatic biology, I haven't looked into that. Ichthyology is not very popular, and is surprisingly hard to find colleges for.

I would expect that ichthyology is more likely to be a graduate level course, after all the general stuff has been covered in biology, chemistry, and report writing

KittyFish62
Interesting.

TexasDomer
I know of a few ichthyology undergrad courses. Schools that have a wildlife program sometimes have an ich course. But it's not on keeping fish.

KittyFish62
I feel like there needs to be something to teach us about the care of fish. I mean we didn't make the best decisions when we were first introduced into the hobby. And even now, when most of us have months, or years of experience, we still don't know plenty of the hobby. I want to be a computer technician, but if there was a college for fish caring, I would gladly take it.

Aquaphobia
I know! Fishlore can host a free online course. Set it up through an established online schooling system (if that's possible) and then the forum members are "on call" for study help

chromedome52
Ichthyology is about classification, distribution, behavior, and more recently genetic relationships. Maintaining aquaria would be more along the lines of animal husbandry. There are courses for fish farming, exactly what they call them escapes my old brain at the moment. However, such courses would have little to do with keeping a few pretty fish in an aquarium, which is what most hobbyists do.

TexasDomer
chromedome52 Aquaculture?

KittyFish62
I know! Fishlore can host a free online course. Set it up through an established online schooling system (if that's possible) and then the forum members are "on call" for study help
Sounds great!

chromedome52

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kansas
Replies
Views
smee82
  • Question
Replies
Views