Fish choking on plant trimmings

FishDin

Well, it didn't really choke, but this is what did happen:

I noticed one of my White Cloud Mountain minnows had something protruding from or near it's mouth. My first thought was disease. When I looked closer, there was something indeed protruding from it's mouth. It's mouth was being forced open to about 120 degrees. It looked bad and extreme. Again, on closer examination, the protruding thing was green, so I though it might be plant material. I netted the fish and gently, carefully with a pair of tweezers I removed the object and released the fish back to the tank. It swam around with it's mouth still in the super-wide open position (from a horror movie). When I examined the object it was a piece of Club Moss that had been trimmed a few days earlier. Club moss grows aggressively and my thought is that fishy mistakenly tried to eat it. If it got stuck in it's mouth it could start growing until it got to the point that I noticed it. That seems odd though, as fish a pretty good at knowing what is and what isn't food, but that's my best guess.

I watched the fish for awhile and it's mouth slowly began returning to normal. It was back to normal a couple hours later when I fed the tank. That was 6 weeks ago and the fish is perfectly fine.

New2fishlovinit

It’s cool you were able to rescue it. I had a similar but self inflected situation. I keep among other things rainbow fish and one of my “mixed” Australians males was missing, I found him dead slightly swollen deep in the bottom of tank. The only thing I could come up with as this has been a fully healthy fish was that is may have choked on some food meant for catfish. Beef heart pellet - the don’t dissolve well and rainbows have big mouths to narrow throat. I did not try to cut it open or anything but that is my thought at least looking back. I dont use those pellet’s anymore that’s for sure.

Glad you saved your lil one!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Kysarkel000
Replies
Views
Punkin
Replies
Views
Megaanemp
Replies