Fish Choices for 36 Gallon Bowfront

1. M

Mjc4166 New Member Member

Hi, I just joined this forum and I am super excited! I am about to start a 36 gallon bowfront freshwater fish tank. I have all the necessary equipment from a previous saltwater fish tank (filters, heater, etc.) I do not have the decor yet, but I know that I want fake plants, driftwood, rocks, and natural gravel. My question is, what fish should I get for my tank? There are do many to choose from and I am so indecisive. I was thinking about peaceful, easy fish to care for. I also want lots of color in my tank to make it beautiful. I've been thinking about this list: 1 Dwarf Gourami (Blue/Green), 3 Cherry Barbs, 3 Marigold Variatus, 3 Guppies (Turquoise), and 3 Cory Catfish. What do you think? Is that too much? I really need your guys' help because I am really bad at choosing fish. Space-wise, and color-wise. Thank you so much!!! :)

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)

I don't think that's too much. In fact, I'd recommend increasing the schools of barbs and corys to at least 6 each. The corys you want one species (no mixing/matching).

3. OP
    OP
    M

Thank you so much!!! That makes me super happy that I could get more! I will make sure not to mix the catfish. Other than that, does the compatibility and the grouping seem alright, besides the catfish and barbs?

4. el337

Yes, the stock compatibility sounds good to me. :) You'll want to keep all male livebearers though to avoid babies.

5. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

One way you can mix cories is if you get bronze cories and albino bronze cories (both are corydoras aeneus - the albino are just a color morph). Just one more option to make your head spin ;)

6. OP
    OP
    M

Thank you again!

OK, I will look into that. Thank you!!! :) :D

7. OP
    OP
    M

Hi again guys , so I didn't want to make another post because I thought people might get annoyed from post after post. So I am just using this one again. :D I have been reading the stickies and wow they helped so much with all that information. So helpful; great job! I even took notes so if I ever needed to look back on it. But I have a couple of questions that came from reading those. Thank you again!!! You guys are so helpful!!!

With freshwater tanks is there any buffers I need for things like ph, kh, etc.? Like you would for a saltwater tank.

Based off the picture, what size tank would you guess my bowfront tank is? I was told it was 36 gallons but other people who have seen it say otherwise. Let me know if you can't see the picture or if you need a better one. [​IMG]

8. el337

You'd only need those buffers depending on what your ph, kh and gh are. The ph tests would be included in the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. The KH and GH test kit is sold by API separately.

That looks like a 36g bow but could you get the measurements - L x W x H?

9. OP
    OP
    M

OK, so I would just need to test my water and go from there. Thank you. :)

And I tried my best to measure it, not sure if it is right. It seems right. I got a little over 29" for L, about 11" for width, and about 19.5" for H.

10. el337

11" I'm assuming from the shortest ends? It's prob more like 15" at the longest part, right? I'd say it is the 36g bow.

11. OP
    OP
    M

Right, I just measured the shortest end. OK, thank you again. You are very helpful!

12. el337

Glad to help :)

13. OP
    OP
    M

Also, sorry about all the questions, is this a bad or good spot to put the fish tank? Is it too close to the window and vent?[​IMG]

14. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I think it's fine. When you open the window does any sunlight hit it directly?

15. OP
    OP
    M

It doesn't look like it. It looks like this. I only open the blinds. The pulling up part is broken.[​IMG]

16. tyguy7760

I think it will be fine. You may regret having one side blocked by a wall because when you are looking for fish you may want to try and look from that side. But I'm weird that way :)

As long as the sun light is not hitting it directly you should be ok.

Are you going for a cool water tank or tropical

17. OP
    OP
    M

True. Thank you! I think tropical. :)

18. tyguy7760

Ok to me tropicals are easier than cool water. With a tropical tank you can always heat it up but cooling it down can be more difficult and much more expensive if you are like me and in the summers your tanks stay around 80 naturally.

19. OP
    OP
    M

OK, thanks again! :)

20. OP
    OP
    M

I am about to go to Petsmart to get my decor and set up my aquarium. I will show pictures afterwards. Is there anything I should be warned about before I go? I cleaned all the equipment the best I could. I will clean the tank after I get back and rinse off the decor as much as I can; I am not sure how to rinse the gravel though. Also, should I check for any leaks in the tank even after I have already used it for a while? I haven't before and I really don't know how I to do it. Usually how long does it take for a freshwater tank to cycle? Is there any ways to help it or do I just let it sit and run until it is ready? Thank you so much for helping me along the way!!! I am so excited!!! :)