Fish Checking Out The World Outside Their Tank

Discussion in 'YoYo Loach' started by Cruise, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Cruise

Cruise Valued Member Member

I have a school of 4 or 5 Yoyo loaches – botanical name “Botia almorhae” also known as the Pakistani loach. I bought them a couple of years ago to eat the snail invasion I had in one of my tanks when I bought some new plants.

Lately they have become strange. I have seen one of two of them stick their heads out of the water for a couple of seconds then go back into the tank, swim around and then do it again. My first thought, I checked the water quality and there is no problems there. The fish don’t seem stressed, no red gills, they don’t hide in caves, and they spend their days chasing each other round the tank.

So I am curious to know why stick their heads out of the water, they do it in the corner the water comes back into the tank from the trickle filter so they are swimming in a water column.

I was waiting to see a Clown Loach join in on the fun; I know they can be strange, like laying on their sides or head pretending their dead.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2017
  2. OP
    OP
    Cruise

When I got home tonight I took a couple of pictures with my phone of my Yoyos doing their thing.

Pardon for the reflection of my sneakers (fail)

17991622_10212758659751365_8640127014228833381_o_zpst650ocox.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  3. Zahc

Zahc Well Known Member Member

They sound like they are just playing together, which is normal for all loaches. The only other thing I can think of is they are needing more oxygen, therefore heading towards the surface. If you have good water circulation and some surface agitation, or an air stone, I wouldn't worry at all.

4. OP
    OP
    Cruise

Thank you

5. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

A lot of fish leave the water. Yoyo loaches have a reputation as jumpers, so beware and have a good lid.
    If they aren't frightened, jumping can be traveling to another habitat, looking for food, dealing with conflict over territory - a host of reasons. First the head goes out, then the body twists and they launch.
    It might work well in nature, where the only carpet is leaves and they can spring backwards if needs be.

6. OP
    OP
    Cruise

I got an air stone and put it in the corner as shown above, it doesn't bubble like crazy but there is more air being pushed through the tank now.

The yoyo fish came over and saw the air stone they didn't seem impressed, I got the impression I had mucked up their game sticking their heads out of the water.

7. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

Are they clicking? Mine will do that from time to time but they ussually like clicking as they do it.

8. OP
    OP
    Cruise

I think so, at first I thought it was the light shorting out, or something.

But I would say yes they are. An interesting breed

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice