Fish Chasing Each Other Around

1. DHIWZ Member Member

I just got 6 Norman's Lampeyes for my ten gallon. Although sometimes they will tightly school together (especially when scared), other times they will chase each other around, fight over food, and do other things that I wouldn't expect from a supposedly timid fish. Is this normal behavior, or is this something I should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance for the help.
  2. RyRyTheAquariumGuy Member Member

hi there!! I don't have a ton of experience with lampeyes, but from what I can see you have all of these fish and snails and what not all in a 10 gallon tank. In my experience I have found that even if you have all the filtration and tank health in the world, if the physical size of the tank is that small for that many living animals they can get rowdy and agitated. Do you have enough cover for them to escape from each other and not feel stressed or threatened? I had small swordtails in a 10 gallon and saw similar issues to you, and they are supposedly timid fish as well. I have them in a 20 gallon long now with many other fish and they are having absolutely no more problems getting along.