Fish Burst, Brain Damage, Fighting, Help

CloudTheFluffy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I woke up this morning to a dead Cory cat that looked like it burst open with a weird bubble sticking out if it? Pictures below.
That fish was always off, smaller enlarged stomach but I thought he was having swim bladder issues and he was starting to get better.
Then one of my white skirt tetras was wobbly in the water, turning on weird angels, almost stuck to the filter and being attack by my angelfish and the other 5. I’ve had no aggression problems with angels or the other fish in its school so I’m assuming it was because it was about to die already.
Now, I can see the brain of my white skirt tetras it normally a bright orange colour. This one had a red spot like inside if him? Right on/beside his brain.
And now my blood fin tetras are attacking each other and going insane and don’t know why. I have 6 and they establish a order weeks ago and all but two have no red in there fins due to stress. Help me please.

65g
80f
6x white skirt tetras
5x bronze cory cats
6x bloodfin tetras
3x angelfish (the fourth was stunted badly and died earlier this month)
2x yo-yo loaches
3x kuhli loaches (on the look out for more)

Ammonia 0 ppm nitrite ppm nitrates 15ppm

Attachments

Taylorbudd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have no idea what could be going on but that sounds like your fish has a blood clot on its brain. Maybe from swimming into the glass really hard?

CloudTheFluffy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Maybe? I’ve separated him and he seems to be swimming better. I’ve done a water change and changed 1/3 if water. No ones fighting because the gravel vac scared them but who knows if that will last.

live4wetsleeves

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe? I’ve separated him and he seems to be swimming better. I’ve done a water change and changed 1/3 if water. No ones fighting because the gravel vac scared them but who knows if that will last.
Is there any possible way to get a picture of the red spot? Physical trauma could cause swelling on the brain but I'm not sure it would just show as a dot. A blood clot in a fishes brain would likely be much too small to see but a brain aneurysm could show. If it was an aneurysm the fish would likely be dead already. As for the aggression, the one swimming wonky got bullied because the other fish sensed he was having trouble, it's just unfortunate behavior of all fish. Hopefully the aggression will subside with the bloodfins, keep an eye on them and keep the thread updated.

CloudTheFluffy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Right now the tetra is still alive, blood fins are better but two khuli loaches came out, one being normal and resting and one is going every we’re floating going sideways and upside down. This is not a good day.
When the white skirt isn’t being bullied he’s flopping around and not letting me get a picture.

live4wetsleeves

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So one of the loaches is having troubles now? And from what I understand, the tetra that has the red spot is the same fish that is swimming weirdly? Sounds like something is affecting their swim bladders, are there any outward symptoms other than the swimming disabilities?

CloudTheFluffy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
None. The loach has disappeared somewhere so I’m hoping he found his way down. The tetra is as good as dead at this point I have him in a net in the tank. His tail is facing me and I still can’t get a picture of him.

live4wetsleeves

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
None. The loach has disappeared somewhere so I’m hoping he found his way down. The tetra is as good as dead at this point I have him in a net in the tank. His tail is facing me and I still can’t get a picture of him.
So if it's something with the swim bladder and it seems it must be, it could be parasitic or bacterial. If I had to guess, it's bacterial. Internal bacterial infections sometimes show no outward symptoms.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm not overly familiar with it, but the symptoms sound similar to "whirling disease". How old is the newest fish?

live4wetsleeves

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm not overly familiar with it, but the symptoms sound similar to "whirling disease". How old is the newest fish?
Myxobolus cerebralis is a myxosporean parasite of salmonids (salmon, trout, and their allies) that causes whirling disease in farmed salmon and trout and also in wild fish populations. Whirling disease afflicts juvenile fish and causes skeletal deformation and neurological damage. Fish "whirl" forward in an awkward, corkscrew-like pattern instead of swimming normally, find feeding difficult, and are more vulnerable to predators. The mortality rate is high for fingerlings, up to 90% of infected populations, and those that do survive are deformed by the parasites residing in their cartilage and bone. It's more than unlikely that whirling disease is what's at play here. Bacterial infections are far more common in home aquariums, these fish don't have bone deformations and I'm guessing they aren't early juveniles either.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Very informative, thank you! Sorry, I had seen another thread from quite a while back that the consensus was whirling disease, but with a type of tetra. It just rang a bell when I saw this thread

CloudTheFluffy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Update on this: Another skirt showed the same symptoms but not as bad as the now dead one.
I removed the newly affected skirt and left alone for half an hour and he seemed to be doing better so I put him back into the main tank.
For some reason after being removed for a period of time made him better.
I think that it had to do more with bullying as the white skirt that died was boss so a new pecking order needed to be established.
Bloodfin tetras have calmed down I have no idea what was going on with them maybe just because there was a fish about to die in the tank?
I have not seen a kuhli loach freak out again yet. I’m going to check under a large piece of driftwood in the morning to see if there all alive if I don’t see them out and about tonight.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom