Fish Bullies

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by jruko, Jul 7, 2015.

1. j

jruko New Member Member

I am starting this thread to discuss fish bullying. I have 5 balla sharks, 3 tiger barb and 2 angel fish in a 100 gallon tank. I recently re homed my red tail shark because i made the mistake of putting him in there with a couple of rainbow sharks also. He became a bully to all the fish even the ballas. Interesting thing is, since I removed them, now all of a sudden one of my tiger barbs became the new tank agressor. Oddly enough, he particualarly fights one of the other barbs. It has been an hour now of non stop chasing, and i have never had this problem out of them. i am going to separate them tonight. I understand i only have 3, i will add more soon, but I wanted to share this. Its interesting how it only started after i removed the redtail and two rainbow.

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

That was a good choice that you made to rehome the Sharks. Once you get a bigger school of tiger barbs their aggression will go down

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I have heard that even one bala shark requires 125 gallons so I would rehome the other 4 at the least.

4. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Bala sharks are schooling fish, so he can't rehome the rest. The OP had mentioned in his other thread that he was upgrading to a 300 gallon tank which should be fine for the balas. :)

5. Gena

Gena Well Known Member Member

Tonight, my breeding ram cichlid pair were bullying ME. I'm actually kinda afraid of them. Even if their bites don't hurt, the ferocity is intimidating.

6. OP
    OP
    j

jruko New Member Member

i found this formula...

Sent from my LGMS323 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. felix

felix Valued Member Member

Still you have to get rid of those bala sharks and the angels/barbs.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. OP
    OP
    j

jruko New Member Member

felix thats all i have in my tank is the balas angels and barbs. the balas are chill they dont and never have bothered the angels. the barbs dont bother the angels despite thier notorious reputation for nipping. the barbs dont bother the balas and the balas dont bother the angels. I watch for hours every day.

if you research more you will find that balas and angels are fine together, barbs and balas are fine, and if there is a big enough school of barbs they will not be agressive at all. as is my tank. just need a few more barbs

the rainbows and red tails were a classic mistake though for sure

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2015
  9. felix

felix Valued Member Member

Bala sharks get 40 cm that's way to big for your tank. Barbs can not be kept with angelfish as they will nip at the long fins.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

With respect, I'll just say that bala sharks do like to school, and even if they did not, given their love of dashing about, a 100g tank is too small a tank for them; it would be like putting 1 giant danio in a 15 or 20 g tank. Just my thought on the matter:) rick

Lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2015
  11. OP
    OP
    j

jruko New Member Member

just saw a 300 gallon tank with a foot long oscar, foot and a half catfish and more. dunno what to say except my upgrade to a 300 gallon will be more than sufficient

12. thefishdude277

thefishdude277 Well Known Member Member

Since balas are very active, and angels are super mellow, the balas will stress out and harass the Angels. Rehome either the Angels or balas. If you are keeping the balas, get 2 more, since they are schooling fish and require a minimum 6 in a school
    I'd rehome the barbs, they will probably get eaten when the balas mature

:)

13. R

RRBWG Valued Member Member

300 gal tank should be more than efficient for the balas IMO and I hope OP didn't feel attacked by everybody I think we can approach this post with a kinder attitude :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

14. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

A 300 is fine for balas. The angels should be fine with them too. Balas are shoaling fish, not schooling. There is a difference. There is no need to get any more unless you want too.
    And they will be fine with the barbs as well.

15. OP
    OP
    j

jruko New Member Member

I agree RR and BD. i keep my tank camera'd out on dvr, so far is a perfect balance. the only issue is the tigers chase each other sometimes. this will do fine until the upgrade. i see no other behavior issues. fishdude i get what you are saying tho, in some circumstances i see where you are coming from

my balas to love to dash, but they are still babies, in fact they are even more chill than the angels at this time. come feeding time, everybody takes turns on the worm blocks, there is much respect in this tank. they all grew up together

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice