Fish breeding

Fishowner24

Why when mollies breed do they chase each other. And why do you need a ratio of 1 male to 3 females

jkkgron2

Fishowner24 said:
Why when mollies breed do they chase each other. And why do you need a ratio of 1 male to 3 females
The males will chase the females because they want to breed with them. You need 1 male to 3 females because it helps even out the chasing and it gives females a break.

Fishowner24

jkkgron2 said:
The males will chase the females because they want to breed with them. You need 1 male to 3 females because it helps even out the chasing and it gives females a break.
oh my fish are chasing each other but I have one male and 1 females how do I stop the male from stressing out the female.

Spudsssy

Fishowner24 said:
oh my fish are chasing each other but I have one male and 1 females how do I stop the male from stressing out the female.
only solution is adding more females. I have always found male mollies to be boisterous.... as many females as possible to 1 male is best!

Unless you intended to breed livebearers with plan for fry or have a fish that will eat the fry its best to have males or females only.

Nikn

I suggest you add more female mollies, but that depends on your tank size. How big is your tank and what are the water perimeters? Is the tank cycled? You should provide a lot of hiding spaces or something that will break the line of sight. You could add some plants or decorations.

Betta'sAnonymous

Our female mollies once killed the male mollies because they got tired of their nonsense.

Fishowner24

Spudsssy said:
only solution is adding more females. I have always found male mollies to be boisterous.... as many females as possible to 1 male is best!

Unless you intended to breed livebearers with plan for fry or have a fish that will eat the fry its best to have males or females only.
ok

gms38

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Our female mollies once killed the male mollies because they got tired of their nonsense.
Oh my

Betta'sAnonymous

gms38 said:
To be fair, a couple of the females were almost twice the size of the males...when NOT pregnant

gms38

That is wild though. I have never had that experience.

Betta'sAnonymous

gms38 said:
That is wild though. I have never had that experience.
Our females thought they were straight up BAs...they would even go after the tiger barbs.

gms38

I have never had aggressive mollies. I am keeping my mom's goldfish right now for her remodel. Not ideal but I had him with mollies. The black mollie kept picking at him. I think the slime coat. The goldfish was visibly depressed. I had to move the mollie's out.
And the goldfish is literally 5 times the mollies size. Big fish. But goldfish are like labs.

Fishowner24

Betta'sAnonymous said:
gosh
Nikn said:
I suggest you add more female mollies, but that depends on your tank size. How big is your tank and what are the water perimeters? Is the tank cycled? You should provide a lot of hiding spaces or something that will break the line of sight. You could add some plants or decorations.
Oh the tank is to full already and I am trying to grow some plants but they aren't working

Random Great Thread

Top Bottom