Fish breeding in my community tank

Karen Morphis

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It must be spring lol. I have 2 angelfish that have laid eggs 5 times but think they must both be females as none of the eggs ever get fertilized. I unexpectedly found 2 baby bristlenose in the tank which was exciting. They are both growing well and just now getting big enough to venture out of hiding a little. Then I saw my albino cories acting funny and saw a few eggs so I moved them to a 5 gallon tank I had a Betta in. Moved the Betta to the community tank. I spent 4 hours off and on watching the female lay eggs while 2 males were donating the fertilizer. I quit counting after 200 eggs. A few days later I had decided they probably weren't going to hatch when I saw a couple little babies. Then I kept seeing more. When I counted 20 I decided this little tank wasn't great for that many so I purchased a used 10 gallon tank (it's all I have room for). I moved all the gravel, plants and equipment to the 10 gallon and started moving babies. To my shock there were 169 of them. I have had aquariums since the 70's and always had cories in them but none of then ever bred so this was exciting to me but now I am faced with finding homes for them when they get bigger. I doubt that many will survive but there are a lot of them that seem to be doing very well. I can keep 4 or 5 to put in my 55 gallon community tank as there are only 3 in there now and they really need a larger group anyway. They were born March first.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know I was amazed when a tiny betta showed up in the big betta tank. I like finding baby fish.

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just started a guppy tank for breeding. So cool to watch them eat particles so small I can't even see them LOL

What kind of corys?

OP
Karen Morphis

Karen Morphis

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sanderguy777 said:
I just started a guppy tank for breeding. So cool to watch them eat particles so small I can't even see them LOL

What kind of corys?
albino

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow, that is a lot of fry. Is there an LFS you could take some to? Even just for store credit

OP
Karen Morphis

Karen Morphis

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Our local one won’t take any fish from anyone. The next closest is 45 minutes away. Don’t know if they will take them. Will have to contact them to find out. There are 2 chain stores there.

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, our two local ones don't take them either. The one will take them, but not for money, just to rehome them...

Jennalovesanimals

Reaction score
Karen Morphis said:
That would be fine with me just to find them a home.
You could try posting an ad on Craigslist or Facebook with pics of the babies and sell them for a couple dollars :) I drive 45 minutes to sell my platy fry to a fish store for $1.50 each I have no other way to find them homes

OP
Karen Morphis

Karen Morphis

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I will probably try LSN but Facebook policies say no sales of animals. I tried selling some swords there and the post was taken down. Luckily I already sold them beforehand.

Jennalovesanimals

Reaction score
Karen Morphis said:
I will probably try LSN but Facebook policies say no sales of animals. I tried selling some swords there and the post was taken down. Luckily I already sold them beforehand.
Ohh ok. You know what’s funny is all the pet stores I called in my area said they could take my fish but couldn’t pay me for them.. but then petsmart told me that in order for me to give them my fish to sell, they would charge me money what a joke.

OP
Karen Morphis

Karen Morphis

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Petsmart and Petco are the only stores within 45 minutes of here. Haven’t called them yet because the babies are still to small to rehome.

Jennalovesanimals

Reaction score
Karen Morphis said:
Petsmart and Petco are the only stores within 45 minutes of here. Haven’t called them yet because the babies are still to small to rehome.
Ohh.. that makes things a little tricky :( I would probably post them online if it were me

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jennalovesanimals said:
Ohh ok. You know what’s funny is all the pet stores I called in my area said they could take my fish but couldn’t pay me for them.. but then petsmart told me that in order for me to give them my fish to sell, they would charge me money what a joke.
I'm surprised they'd even take them then. They have contracts with certain companies to supply their fish, so taking people's fish isn't usual procedure.

But asking for money, that is funny, but at the same time a real pathetic move. Unless it was a full grown Pacu or wolf cichlid :eek:

Jennalovesanimals

Reaction score
Sanderguy777 said:
I'm surprised they'd even take them then. They have contracts with certain companies to supply their fish, so taking people's fish isn't usual procedure.

But asking for money, that is funny, but at the same time a real pathetic move. Unless it was a full grown Pacu or wolf cichlid :eek:
Oh jeez they wouldn’t even have a tank big enough to fit a full grown pacu in it but yeah I thought it was pretty pathetic. Petco agreed to take the fry for free but this place 45 mins away from me will pay in store credit so that’s where they’re going

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jennalovesanimals said:
Oh jeez they wouldn’t even have a tank big enough to fit a full grown pacu in it but yeah I thought it was pretty pathetic. Petco agreed to take the fry for free but this place 45 mins away from me will pay in store credit so that’s where they’re going
My lfs took some angels once, but said without a receipt, they'd just take them, no credit or anything.

Jennalovesanimals

Reaction score
Sanderguy777 said:
My lfs took some angels once, but said without a receipt, they'd just take them, no credit or anything.
Yeah that’s the same thing I got from most of the stores I contacted.
But honestly I’m willing to make the drive if it means that my babies are going to be taken care of properly even if I wouldn’t get any credit for them.. my petco does not have very healthy fish.. the place I’m bringing them to is strictly a fish store with all planted tanks and it’s just overall a really nice place.

OP
Karen Morphis

Karen Morphis

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wish we had a nice store like that. Both the chain stores are very well kept and clean. Not so much our local store. Last time I was there all the tanks were infested with ick and are full of those pest snails And algae. Used to be a really nice store years ago.

Jennalovesanimals

Reaction score
Karen Morphis said:
Wish we had a nice store like that. Both the chain stores are very well kept and clean. Not so much our local store. Last time I was there all the tanks were infested with ick and are full of those pest snails And algae. Used to be a really nice store years ago.
That’s sad :( I have a local store right next to the petco but their goldfish tank got ich and I got freaked out because I buy my goldfish from them normally.. also a lot of their tanks have algae in them. But I see little to no dead fish there versus at petco there is at least 3 in every tank. They have a big surrender tank and it was full of these beautiful cichlids and when I went there a couple days later they were almost all dead and the ones that were alive were not doing well at all. If their owners knew the kind of treatment they would receive there I know they never would have surrendered them :(

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The store I dropped mine off at have algae in every tank, and usually have at least one quarantine tank, but their fish seem to be healthier than the petsmart fish.
I've only gotten petco fish once and that was a fish in cycle, so the 3 that died weren't their fault probably.

The OTHER lfs we have is beautiful, but they have quarantined tanks too. They DON'T take fish though...
I just wish I lived near Aquarium co-op, then I could sell fish and even buy healthy ones LOL

New Threads