Fish breathing at the top of tank !!!

goosefish

so I've been planning on getting fish and I finally got 2 goldfish a couple days ago. Before I got them the water had been sitting in the tank for about a week (with a filter). Around a day after I filled the tank it got really cloudy, I assumed it was just the bacterial bloom because there was nothing else in it that could cause it to be cloudy. After 2 days it got cleared up, but then the day before I got the fish it got cloudy again. For awhile they both kind of hung out around the filter besides when I fed them, I was a little confused but didn't think much of it until now. Earlier I noticed them staying especially close to the filter so then I did some research. After realizing they probably didn't have enough oxygen I plugged in my wave maker (I originally didn't have it plugged it because I thought it might've been stressing them out). After I did that they seemed alright for awhile but now they are at the top of the tank and have been for about an hour. I would try and do a water change but it's currently 2am. I'm really concerned I don't want them to die or anything, what should I do?
btw I have a 40 gallon tank, the temperature is 75.8, I don't know what brand the filter, wave maker, and heater are but I could probably find out if necessary.

edit: Out of curiosity I turned their light on and now one of them have gone down to the bottom of the tank and the other isn't at the top anymore but is still swimming next to the filter

Onering1

It looks like you still have a lack of oxygen however unfortunately I don't have an answer for you but I would recommend marking this as an emergency so that other people can get back to you quickly.

goosefish

Onering1 said:
It looks like you still have a lack of oxygen however unfortunately I don't have an answer for you but I would recommend marking this as an emergency so that other people can get back to you quickly.
thank you for the help!! how do mark it as an emergency ?

Onering1

SpecialPatrolGroup

First of all, turn off the heater. Goldfish are cold water fish. Then do a water change (yes even at 2am). 20% at least.

Second of all, goldfish produce a lot of waste so check the water parameters for ammonia. Your tank was not cycled when you put them in it so it's really important to keep an eye on the ammonia levels.

If they're high, get some Amguard or something like that and treat the water - it doesn't eliminate ammonia but "locks" it so it's less dangerous.

Thirdly, fill it up with live plants. They help eliminate ammonia and get the nitrogen cycle started. Also, introduce some fast-acting bacterial such as Fluval Biological Enhancer. Look up "New Tank Syndrome" as well.

Lastly, get a cup of water, fill it up with the tank water and pour the water back into the tank from a height. Do this several times - it's a quick way to bubble up the surface to help oxygenate the water.

Do the fish look "normal"? I.e. no bloating, fluff, poppy eyes, damage to scales etc.

Good luck!
Also, goldfish don't like very strong currents so if they're hanging near the filter it might be too full on for them. How powerful is the wavemaker? A decent air pump with a bubble stone or bar might be better.

goosefish

SpecialPatrolGroup said:
First of all, turn off the heater. Goldfish are cold water fish. Then do a water change (yes even at 2am). 20% at least.

Second of all, goldfish produce a lot of waste so check the water parameters for ammonia. Your tank was not cycled when you put them in it so it's really important to keep an eye on the ammonia levels.

If they're high, get some Amguard or something like that and treat the water - it doesn't eliminate ammonia but "locks" it so it's less dangerous.

Thirdly, fill it up with live plants. They help eliminate ammonia and get the nitrogen cycle started. Also, introduce some fast-acting bacterial such as Fluval Biological Enhancer. Look up "New Tank Syndrome" as well.

Lastly, get a cup of water, fill it up with the tank water and pour the water back into the tank from a height. Do this several times - it's a quick way to bubble up the surface to help oxygenate the water.

Do the fish look "normal"? I.e. no bloating, fluff, poppy eyes, damage to scales etc.

Good luck!
One of them has puffy eyes (It's a black moor goldfish so it might just be how it looks ?) and the same one has a cloudy eye. I didn't notice the cloudy eye till today but it's possible I just didn't notice it. The other goldfish looks like it might have tail rot. The ends of her tail look feathery (idk how to describe it) and it's white.

I put the biological booster in the water a week pier before adding the fish (I used the imagitarium biological booster) and I would do a water change but I don't have anywhere to put the water right now.

Do I need to get medicine to treat to fish and should I get an air pump? the one with the cloudy eye is still swimming directly next to the filter near the top and the other has been swimming in the same area near the bottom ever since I turned the light on. I also don't have anything to check the ammonia levels with

SpecialPatrolGroup

You can tip the water from the change down the sink.

But it sounds to me as though the fish came to you unhealthy. And stress can "activate" any dormant bacteria that nearly all aquariums have but that don't tend to affect the fish unless they're weakened by stress or other immune challenges.

Wherever you bought the fish from should do a free water test for you if you take in a sample.

In terms of treating the fish, I honestly wouldn't spend the money on it. Especially if you don't know what you're treating. Fish medication is expensive.

Spend your money instead on a water testing kit - this is an essential item if you want to keep fish - and some live plants.

If your fish do die, then don't buy any more until your tank is fully cycled. Otherwise the same thing will happen again. This takes several weeks.

Also, you need to add biological enhancers daily until your tank is cycled. You also need to treat all tap water with a conditioner to remove chloramines etc before you add it - or any fish - to the tank, including with each water change.

Most importantly, research, research and more research!

Can you post any photos of your fish?

Nopsu

You should go get a basic water test kit asap like already stated, anything to start with to test water ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH.

Even if you put in the booster it takes time to cycle and constant feeding for the beneficial bacteria to get going properly in your filter.

Doing daily water changes might be the best cure for now. And I also state that water conditioner in replacement water is needed to detoxify tap water. =) (but even if you cant get the conditioner today for some reason do a wc anyway)

goosefish

SpecialPatrolGroup said:
You can tip the water from the change down the sink.

But it sounds to me as though the fish came to you unhealthy. And stress can "activate" any dormant bacteria that nearly all aquariums have but that don't tend to affect the fish unless they're weakened by stress or other immune challenges.

Wherever you bought the fish from should do a free water test for you if you take in a sample.

In terms of treating the fish, I honestly wouldn't spend the money on it. Especially if you don't know what you're treating. Fish medication is expensive.

Spend your money instead on a water testing kit - this is an essential item if you want to keep fish - and some live plants.

If your fish do die, then don't buy any more until your tank is fully cycled. Otherwise the same thing will happen again. This takes several weeks.

Also, you need to add biological enhancers daily until your tank is cycled. You also need to treat all tap water with a conditioner to remove chloramines etc before you add it - or any fish - to the tank, including with each water change.

Most importantly, research, research and more research!
ohh okay. How do I know when the tank is cycled? Do I just wait until the parameters are as they should be in the tank? Also, is there anything I need to do to care for live plants? I have 2 in the tank right now and I haven't done anything to them and they seem to be doing fine
Nopsu said:
You should go get a basic water test kit asap like already stated, anything to start with to test water ammonia, nitrites, nitrites and pH.

Even if you put in the booster it takes time to cycle and constant feeding for the beneficial bacteria to get going properly in your filter.

Doing daily water changes might be the best cure for now. And I also state that water conditioner in replacement water is needed to detoxify tap water. =) (but even if you cant get the conditioner today for some reason do a wc anyway)
I've been using water conditioner whenever I add water to the tank and before I added the fish in (I should've stated that in the original post). I'll get a water testing kit as soon as I can, thank you for your help !

Nopsu

goosefish said:
ohh okay. How do I know when the tank is cycled? Do I just wait until the parameters are as they should be in the tank? Also, is there anything I need to do to care for live plants? I have 2 in the tank right now and I haven't done anything to them and they seem to be doing fine

I've been using water conditioner whenever I add water to the tank (I should've stated that in the original post). I'll get a water testing kit as soon as I can, thank you for your help !
Yes wait and do daily WC until you see no ammonia or nitrites (no2) and only their after product nitrates (no3).

Also gold fish are known to uproot, toss and eat most live plants so prepare for that.
Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle
Here is more about the cycle process

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom