Fish bought as rainbow pleco?

GameVet

I needed an algae cleaner for my spare 10G I use for quarantine. I bought a brown pleco that the pet smart guy said was a rainbow pleco. That fish hides at all times. I decided he was lonely so I found him and moved him to the 55G tank. After a month of not seeing him I looked in and around everything and he wasn’t there. A couple of weeks later I looked again and he came out of a cave decoration. After some research I’ve decided he is not a rainbow pleco because there is no evidence that this is a real kind of pleco. It may be a rubber lip something. My wife tells me the next time I want to buy a fish to not and then just pretend that I did but it’s hiding. What. Am I doing wrong with this thing? Maybe it’s a schooling fish? It’s small could it’s youth that will grow out of this?

AggressiveAquatics

GameVet said:
I needed an algae cleaner for my spare 10G I use for quarantine. I bought a brown pleco that the pet smart guy said was a rainbow pleco. That fish hides at all times. I decided he was lonely so I found him and moved him to the 55G tank. After a month of not seeing him I looked in and around everything and he wasn’t there. A couple of weeks later I looked again and he came out of a cave decoration. After some research I’ve decided he is not a rainbow pleco because there is no evidence that this is a real kind of pleco. It may be a rubber lip something. My wife tells me the next time I want to buy a fish to not and then just pretend that I did but it’s hiding. What. Am I doing wrong with this thing? Maybe it’s a schooling fish? It’s small could it’s youth that will grow out of this?
So you haven’t seen it since you bought it?
If that’s the case he might be dead because that also means he hasn’t eaten in that long. Algae eaters and plecos look pretty different so if you think it’s a pleco it probably is

GameVet

I have seen him a week ago, but in effort to see it I have to pull objects out of my aquarium until he comes out of them. He doesn’t always come out. I have no idea how he is eating. But he is really small so maybe just cleaning the inside of my decorations. He is about an inch long. He looks like a brown pleco with some stripes.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom