Fish Born With A Deformed Tail

Sam123

I’m not sure if this is an issue or not but my fish recently had babies. I removed them right away but one looks like his tail is ripped or scrunched together. Is this a problem or does this just happen sometimes? He is also a lot smaller then the other baby fish.

BReefer97

Well Known
Sam123 said:
I’m not sure if this is an issue or not but my fish recently had babies. I removed them right away but one looks like his tail is ripped or scrunched together. Is this a problem or does this just happen sometimes? He is also a lot smaller then the other baby fish.
It happens sometimes, but that’s why you “cull” baby fish. You check over each of them and see if there are any deformities. The ones with deformities should be euthanized.

But that’s up to you. Culling is what breeders do to ensure their fish are all healthy and nice looking.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
It may grow to be worse, and not be able to get its fair shair of food, or it might grow to be ok, functional, healthy enough to survive in a tank with others.

A professional breeder would euthanize it , if you choose not to, just be sure that it does not breed. As it might pass the deformity on to its fry.

OP
S

Sam123

Noroomforshoe said:
It may grow to be worse, and not be able to get its fair shair of food, or it might grow to be ok, functional, healthy enough to survive in a tank with others.

A professional breeder would euthanize it , if you choose not to, just be sure that it does not breed. As it might pass the deformity on to its fry.
Ok thanks you!!

New Threads