Fish body checking rocks

T3Knical5urg3

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a 20 gallon with 4 panda corys, 4 neons, 2 barbs, and a gourami. It is fully cycled runs at 77F and has 0ppm ammon 0ppm Nitrite <15 Nitrate. The wierd thing is all my fish will through out the day "body check" against things in the tank. They all do it, not just one species. Other than that they don't appear ill at all. They swim and eat happily and don't look physically wrong.

Any ideas?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
weird that there isnt any other signs...rubbing is sometimes accociated with velvet and ich..so keep a good eye on them...even turning up the temp to 79-80 might help some also...goodluck and keep us posted

lilFishyfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Have you seen any some TEENY TINY white wormy looking things on the glass (planarian)? They harmless to your fish but sometimes they will land on the fish or get in their gills for only a short time while floating through the water and cause the fish to jerk around or rub on stuff. Other than that there are other actual external parasites, flukes etc are very small. Have you bought any new fish recently? If so if might of been infected with a EP and spread it, it can be treated though so don't worry!!!!!!!!!!! I've used the jungle parasite cure tabs and it worked for a odd problem I was having with my fish, rubbing, jerking and weird white marks!!!!!!!

T3Knical5urg3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hrm... well these are all new fish bought together at the same shop, so I guess that could be a possibility. How long should I wait and watch before I take a plan of action?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
well ich and velvet are in full forces once you see signs..so catching it early could be beneficial..and without meds for now is the approach I would take..you could put the heat up to 83 and add extra airation and a few more water changes for two weeks to cure that..warmer water = less oxygen so the extra air n changes are needed for that.......with a gravel vac for any ich spores that might be hiding...it certainly wont hurt the fish to take this step...goodluck!

Nexxorcist

Reaction score
was wondering if anything came outta this? my male cherry barb's been doin that recently as well. body checking against the gravel and occasionally jerking arounding in place.

did you end up fixing it and how?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom