Fish Better In Numbers?

1. ASHLEY R COOK

ASHLEY R COOK Valued Member Member

Ok I know that some fish need a certain number minimum to feel safe and happy.
    I was wondering about my platy in my QT.
    I had 2 platy (1 male and 1 feamle)for a week in my QT and all they did was hide and didn't eat much (excpet when I put seaweed in! They loved that).
    I added more plants and they liked it but were still skittish. I went and bought another female and now they're so happy!
    And they ate as soon as I put the food in.
    Even though they're not schooling fish or listed as needing groups it seems to have made them happier. Maybe it was bc it was 1 male and 1 female so adding a another female made the numbers better but I hadn't seen them mating...

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

In nature you will often find shoal of platties, they don't necessarily swim in schools but they do like company of their own. I certainly wouldn't keep any less than a trio of any live bearing species. In most cases it is the more the merrier, so long as the tank is large enough.

3. OP
    OP
    ASHLEY R COOK

ASHLEY R COOK Valued Member Member

I plan of one more female to make 4. I have 4 mollies in my main tank already.
    I just see people pushing groups of schooling fish or fish like corys or loaches but I wonder why I don't see it with livebearers? It made a big difference with mine the instant the 3 was added.

4. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

I think it might have to do with schooling vs. shoaling species. Not 100% sure what the difference is but all I can say both prefer larger numbers.