Fish Better In Numbers?

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok I know that some fish need a certain number minimum to feel safe and happy.
I was wondering about my platy in my QT.
I had 2 platy (1 male and 1 feamle)for a week in my QT and all they did was hide and didn't eat much (excpet when I put seaweed in! They loved that).
I added more plants and they liked it but were still skittish. I went and bought another female and now they're so happy!
And they ate as soon as I put the food in.
Even though they're not schooling fish or listed as needing groups it seems to have made them happier. Maybe it was bc it was 1 male and 1 female so adding a another female made the numbers better but I hadn't seen them mating...

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In nature you will often find shoal of platties, they don't necessarily swim in schools but they do like company of their own. I certainly wouldn't keep any less than a trio of any live bearing species. In most cases it is the more the merrier, so long as the tank is large enough.

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Demeter said:
In nature you will often find shoal of platties, they don't necessarily swim in schools but they do like company of their own. I certainly wouldn't keep any less than a trio of any live bearing species. In most cases it is the more the merrier, so long as the tank is large enough.
I plan of one more female to make 4. I have 4 mollies in my main tank already.
I just see people pushing groups of schooling fish or fish like corys or loaches but I wonder why I don't see it with livebearers? It made a big difference with mine the instant the 3 was added.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think it might have to do with schooling vs. shoaling species. Not 100% sure what the difference is but all I can say both prefer larger numbers.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom