Fish behavior..could watch for hours.

1. emmynk

emmynk Well Known Member Member

A couple weeks into having my lake cichlid tank.. dear god these guys are interesting.

Most interesting are my sunspot brevis, with the exception of one of my transcriptus, that lays in a cave in a weird position. I think he's trying to seduce the other transcriptus. They're too hard to sex though. Lol.[​IMG][​IMG]

Anyways these brevis. The males are scared cats, and the females are out and about! I mean this species is skittish by nature. But the males will sot by their shells and/or dart into them if I sneak up to the tank, and the females just kinda look at me like... what's up?
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I just witnessed them fighting over one shell. Which is strange. Because there are two shells identical to that one in the tank, and 18 shells total in the tank. So they each have their favorite shell. One of them has been buried in the sand except for the opening, so I'm hoping that male is getting ready to breed. Which is funny, because he is the smallest, but the one with the most deep colouring. Time to get more shells, I guess. :p

2. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

This is why I love animals.

Gah now I'm back to wanting shellies for my 8 gallon >.>

Advertisement

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

To think some people think fish are boring?, they're far from it I can lose hours watching mine

Advertisement

4. lala29

lala29 Well Known Member Member

Fish are defiantly not boring! If anything theyre most active because they have to swim all day :p my goldfish are comical... By far my funniest fish!

5. tmills

tmills New Member Member

I started keeping Tang. cichlids over 30yrs ago and feel the same way about their behavior today as I did then they will never let you down and will always surprise you, great to see another cichlid but!

6. d

dgmirage Valued Member Member

LOVE cichlids! their personality is amazing. i got a 29g cycling. got a great filter with 200gph. do you guys think i could fit some cichlids in a tank that small? how many?

thanks

7. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

I love when my Meeki and Salvini "talk trash" to each other. Good stuff.

8. C

CLam Well Known Member Member

Girl, I know just what you mean. I just got my first cichlids not too long ago, and got way more attached than I could have thought possible(I may have been previously biased, as when I was a child, my mother, who also kept fish for some time, always told me that cichlids were really mean, so it was a surprise when I brought a pair home). They're absolutely precious, and still a bit shy from being in a new home, so I've been feeding live worms so they can come out and hunt at their leisure.

Just being near the water is relaxing. Sometimes I think I could just watch the filter suck up detritus and feel more at ease. Is that a bit too immersed? Does anyone else think like that?

9. OP
    OP
    emmynk

They are my favorites. Some day I would love to get the largest tank possible and have a whole lake tang setup.
    My guys are in a 20gal. I wish I had a 29 gal. You would get a good group of dwarf cichlids. Neolamprologus Multis, or the ones I have, neolamprologus brevis ikola, or sunspot brevis. They're great. And with a 29 gal you could get a couple cave dwellers, with the shells in foreground and caves in background. You could get a pair of juldiochromis. I like the transcriptus, but dickfeldi are awesome too. Maybe even some leleupi to add some colour. Sounds overstocked but they like to be crowded, it lessens aggression.
    I was under the impression they were really hard to keep and were so mean. I love cichlids. I want tanks and tanks full of them.

10. tmills

tmills New Member Member

"Over stocked lessens aggression" it does with mubuna but when a pair of tang. Cichlids defines it's territory most likely will be the whole 29gal tank, make sure you have another tank to keep all the ones being pushed out of the pairs way. I had a young pair of brichardi take over a 30L every inch that pair male 2.5in. female 2in. in size. On another subject about hard to keep, I don't think so around 8.0ph, a little salt, crushed coral for calcium good diet and good water changes.

11. OP
    OP
    emmynk

In my tank they all have their own territories. The only aggression problem I have is the oldest biggest leleupi chasing the brevis away from his/her cave. It might become different when they decide to mate, if they ever want to, lol. The reason I say that crowding lessens aggression is that with 6 brevis , the leleupi can't bully just one and kill it. At least that's how it was explained to me and it works for me. And agreed pretty easy to care for.

12. tmills

tmills New Member Member

I see your point, I guess as long as there is a group that cannot be corraled your good and by the way good luck w/ lelupi sp.? Wish I could find some good ones thanks!

13. OP
    OP
    emmynk

Was actually relatively easy for me to get my hands on, my LFS had them and brichardi in stock , for cave and shell dweller section. So I special ordered brevis. Ask your LFS If they have them on the list? :)

14. tmills

tmills New Member Member

emmynk, thanks very much!

Advertisement