fish become aggresive with light on Important

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by lucky strike 21, Nov 26, 2012.

1. lucky strike 21

lucky strike 21Well Known MemberMember

my 150 tank is in chaos whenever the light goes on yesterday I noticed that my bp ate a tiger barb i know horrible stocking but apparently my family bought fish while i was on vacation i came home to find half a tiger barb and they only attack each other when lights are on or so i am told

2. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Your family really has to learn to leave your tanks alone -_- and they would fight in the light. Not sure what to tell you except perhaps to let them work it out.

3. OP
    OP
    lucky strike 21

i put signs everywhere do not touch still they don't listen hmm ok

4. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I'd invest in a timer. They are pretty cheap, walmart has them.

Is your tank located in a communal area of the house?

5. OP
    OP
    lucky strike 21

the problem is once they see light everybody gets aggressive the rainbow fish start attacking the bps and then everyone starts fighting yeah i have it in the living room but theres no loud sound near there

6. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

How many rainbows do you have? How is the tank decorated? What are your water parameters?

7. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

After this many times I'd consider unleashing a new dog on their hamster and see how they like it.
    But enough of me being grouchy. Do the rainbows and barbs have schools? Do they have lots of hiding places? How many of each fish do you have in there? When you mentioned the rainbows I realized the problem may be more than simple territorial disputes.

8. OP
    OP
    lucky strike 21

yeah everyone has schools its ok im mad too they dont respect my tank

the water parameters are ok i updated my profile yesterday i will post some pictures thank you guys i have 6 rainbows

9. OP
    OP
    lucky strike 21

10. psalm18.2

psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

One of the biggest problems I can see is lack of cover for the fish. Easily fixable.

Add a lot of fake plants to provide fish security. Fake plants or vines from the craft section work great. You have some pots and deco for caves so that's a good start.

Provide some shady areas so fish can have darker areas when the lights are on. I use a low light on my BP tank and the fish seem to like it over the previous bright light.

Tiger barbs can be hit or miss with the fish you have. I'd probably bring them back.

I don't know too much about your other fish combinations so can't offer advice there.

11. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

See if you can find tank lids with padlocks. XP

Yeah, if you provide some proper cover things should settle down.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice