Fish at surface after water change

mgillett88
most likely ammonia poisoning. do daily water changes, and use Prime to detox the ammonia.

Did a water change this morning, added some ‘interpet ammonia remover’ as that was slightly high and just now rechecked ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels.

IMG_0959.JPG

Ammonia is still slightly high at 0.25. But other two levels are good. Water is still looking cloudy though.

Advertisement
Ronniethewitch
your first tests showed ammonia and nitrite but no nitrates yet so you are just beginning to enter the second stage of your cycle. water changes are your fishes best friend! Just do partial changes until you start showing nitrates. Poisoning by ammonia and nitrates cannot be reversed so clean water is necessary with fish in. The bacteria you are trying to grow is on every surface in your tank, the substrate, any ornaments, even the sides of the tank as well as in your filter...whats in the water is not the important part. The cloudy water is probably a bacteria bloom and will subside naturally...its what they call 'new tank syndrome'. Once you have grown the right amount of good bacteria it will eat away the bad bacteria. If its not just bacteria but dirt from your substrate, you can add floss to your filter, works a treat to scrub your water clear. Hope this gets sorted very quickly for you!

mgillett88
your first tests showed ammonia and nitrite but no nitrates yet so you are just beginning to enter the second stage of your cycle. water changes are your fishes best friend! Just do partial changes until you start showing nitrates. Poisoning by ammonia and nitrates cannot be reversed so clean water is necessary with fish in. The bacteria you are trying to grow is on every surface in your tank, the substrate, any ornaments, even the sides of the tank as well as in your filter...whats in the water is not the important part. The cloudy water is probably a bacteria bloom and will subside naturally...its what they call 'new tank syndrome'. Once you have grown the right amount of good bacteria it will eat away the bad bacteria. If its not just bacteria but dirt from your substrate, you can add floss to your filter, works a treat to scrub your water clear. Hope this gets sorted very quickly for you!

IMG_0961.JPG
This is from this afternoon. Fish seem happier, (not at the top) but did lose one of the rainbows earlier this green tinge ammonia test I wasn’t sure about it so carried out a second one which was yellow. (Test tubes from left to right, PH/Ammonoa 2/ammonia 1/ Nitrite/Nitrate). Will do another ammonia sample after.

Advertisement
Ronniethewitch
you're doing the right thing with your water changes to keep your fish healthy through the cycling. Your cycle shouldn't take too long now that you're showing nitrites.

Just as an added thought here re: cloudly water...I know you have plants (gorgeous by the way!) What are you using for fertilizer and how long are you keeping the lights on each day? Algae bloom is much harder to rid yourself of than bacteria bloom or dirt and if you can sort it now you can avoid getting again much easier than if it gets out of hand now.

mgillett88
Just as an added thought here re: cloudly water...I know you have plants (gorgeous by the way!) What are you using for fertilizer and how long are you keeping the lights on each day? Algae bloom is much harder to rid yourself of than bacteria bloom or dirt and if you can sort it now you can avoid getting again much easier than if it gets out of hand now.

The only thing we’ve used so far is the aquarium soil. The one middle back and front left we’re in pots of aquarium soil in other tank and they took off. So just made a bed of aquarium soil under gravel and planted them.

Advertisement
Ronniethewitch
The only thing we’ve used so far is the aquarium soil. The one middle back and front left we’re in pots of aquarium soil in other tank and they took off. So just made a bed of aquarium soil under gravel and planted them.

and lights? how many hours a day?

angelcraze
Did you cycle the tank first? Soil will release a small amount of ammonia. You'll need nitrifying bacteria to process this ammonia before you add the fish. My dirted tanks almost always have a cloudy period. I add nitrifying bacteria by transferring seeded media from another estsblished tank and usually my dirted tanks are all clear and ready for fish within a week's time. It has to cycle though.

Ronniethewitch
Did you cycle the tank first? Soil will release a small amount of ammonia. You'll need nitrifying bacteria to process this ammonia before you add the fish. My dirted tanks almost always have a cloudy period. I add nitrifying bacteria by transferring seeded media from another estsblished tank and usually my dirted tanks are all clear and ready for fish within a week's time. It has to cycle though.

OP is just in the middle of fish-in cycling, has nitrites now. new to the hobby so no old tank to seed with.

mgillett88
and lights? how many hours a day?

Sorry. Missed the question on the lights. Due to the cloudiness they’ve been on quite a lot, but there switched off during night and for a couple of hours during the day.

JenC
added some ‘interpet ammonia remover’ as that was slightly high
I'm generally wary of products claiming to "remove" ammonia. Sometimes they lock ammonia so it's unavailable for nitrogen cycle conversion. That's not ideal when cycling and I believe there are better ways to handle elevated levels like dosing Seachem Prime (which temporarily detoxifies but still allows ammonia to convert) and/or doing water changes.

If you plan to keep using it, could you tell us a bit about it? I'm not familiar with it.

mgillett88
I'm generally wary of products claiming to "remove" ammonia. Sometimes they lock ammonia so it's unavailable for nitrogen cycle conversion. That's not ideal when cycling and I believe there are better ways to handle elevated levels like dosing Seachem Prime (which temporarily detoxifies but still allows ammonia to convert) and/or doing water changes.

If you plan to keep using it, could you tell us a bit about it? I'm not familiar with it.

Not planning on continuing to use it. I’ve had better results with King British filter aid. Someone said before to add something (a few comments up) but the link was in dollars so I think an American Item.

Ronniethewitch
Sorry. Missed the question on the lights. Due to the cloudiness they’ve been on quite a lot, but there switched off during night and for a couple of hours during the day.

I wouldn't imagine its algae then. This is a good thing.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Feohw
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
Carolyn Underwood
Replies
Views