fish at my college

1. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

there is a fish sitting in the biology lab and i don't know what it is. it kinda looks like a male con.

Attached Files:

2. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Hi Fishingman,

It sure looks like a cichlid! Looks cute too! :) Hopefully our cichlid members can swing by soon to help you out. Best of luck! :;hf

3. fishtang Initiate Member

I would say your guess is correct.

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Fishingman. I think it looks like one of Shawnie's Cons. I've never kept them myself. The fish looks frightened in the second photo. Are you going to rescue it? :)
    Ken

5. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Yep, it's a Convict alright. Little beasties they are. :)

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

looks like a female con to me..and a nice looking gal ;)

7. btate617 Well Known Member Member

A female con for sure , the orange belly gives it away.

Also look at the second pic this is why fin shape is not a good indicator of sex. Notice the long pointed dorsal fin normally found in males......

Brian

8. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Convict for sure. Female.

9. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

thanks for the responses.

no i can't rescue it. i have no room for another fish right now.

10. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

sure you could!! with a small divider, she can fit right in with your other cons ;D

11. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

that could work. what i will probably do is suggest buying a male for the tank. the only problem is that the tank is built in the wall and the students passing by all the time and looking at them could stress the fish.

12. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

cons love human attention..but if students are banging on the glass or anything, that might stress them

13. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

no they would not bang on the glass, but if they mate then wouldn't the people watching them make them believe that they are trying to take their fry???