Fish at Fair Help

1. jessiej Initiate Member

So Last year i went to a local fair (July 2013) and I went on hook the duck I was trying to win one of the toys from the stall for my little couisn who was with me. Then the grumpy woman on the stall said youve won 2 fish, I was like no can i jus have that above and then she handed me 2 random fish. I had to take them or she said she'd bin them. I had nowhere to put them and i couldnt go out and buy a tank that day since it was late on a sunday, so i bought one of there plastic 2litre pots for a day or so. They didnt seem very happy, as i would exoect after being in those conditions in the hot sunshine. Anyways they have now got a 40 (something maybe 45l) tank and have lived in there a year now. They seem really healthy and happy one is silver and the other is orange.

so basically i went back to the fair yesterday and there were no signs on fish so i went on the hook a duck again and i thought even if they were fish i had a tank. Then she tells me to pick a fihs and picked up this plastic tub which a pug was drinking from, eww. so i thought great again and i picked one she grabbed a bag which already had a fish in (she didnt relise) and handed it to me. so she gave me 2 :/ so i was leaving th efiar when a little girl had won one age arround 8 and her parents were shouting at her making her leave it on floor or put it in the bin, so i stepped in and said id have it since i couldnt let them harm it. So now i have 3 to take back and obviously i already have 2. so what do i do are they healthy? the tank is obviously now over crowded. please help and tell me what to do.

i can post photos if anyone wants?
    thanks everyone

The tank has been set up just under a year
    total of 6 fish -one danio which my friend gave me 5 goldfish from fair

2. hopeful fish Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!!

45L translates to ~10 US gallons.

If the fish are goldfish, the tank is definitely overstocked. Believe it or not, the smallest type of goldfish need a minimum of 20-30 gallons for just one fish, plus 10 gallons for each thereafter. Posting some pictures will definitely help--we'll be able to determine if the goldfish are smaller types, or commons, which often can only do well in a pond.

If they are a more common-type of goldfish, it is recommended that you either build a pond in your backyard, clear a space for a HUGE (and I mean HUGE) tank, or re-home them to someone with a pond and re-stock your tank with smaller fish.

If they are fancier-type goldies, you will definitely be on the road to an upgrade, but it will probably be an upgrade that can fit in the average-person's home :)

Also, it is indicated in your profile that you know the Nitrogen Cycle, but I still like to recommend to everyone new here to read the Fishlore article on it.

Hope this helps!

3. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

Hi there :) what a story! Fairs are really no place for fish. I'm glad you didn't let them go to the bin! Do you happen to know what kind of goldfish they are (Fancy, common, comet, etc.)? The good news is that if your two were living with you for a year, your tank must be cycled! The bad news is that with three extra fish, your bioload is going to explode.

As I'm sure you know, your tank is far too small for these fish. I'm not experienced enough with tank goldfish to give you approximate sizes, but I do know that a decent sized tank for ONE of these guys can start out at about 30 gallons (130 ish? liters), and go up to a small pond. Here is where the type of goldfish will make a difference; the fancy goldfish don't need as big of a tank as the commons or comets.

Ninja'd! lol

4. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Hi there!

Yep, the unfortunate truth is that most fish given away at fairs are commons or comets. At least here in the US. And a 10g tank is not really a place for one of these fish let alone two.

To help you ID your fish - check the body shape. Is it a long, lean body, usually with a single tail fin? That's the kind of goldfish that needs a pond or a VERY large tank. If it's a rounder, chunkier body with double tail fin, exaggerated eyes or a puffy head growth, you've got yourself a fancy goldfish. While 10g might work temporarily for one of these guys, it is indeed very temporary and they also need larger aquariums. Some pics might help if you are still unsure.

Your heart is absolutely in the right place in saving them, If they are goldfish, they're going to need a larger home regardless of the type. Goldfish are messy, HUGE waste producers and need lots of water to dilute it. The long bodied ones are also active swimmers and will really appreciate the larger space to do so.

I say - build the pond! Haha. Not always feasible, I know. But if you can find them one to live in (not a wild pond), you'll be doing right by them :) Or you could use it as an excuse to justify a really big tank!

Good luck and welcome :)

5. aHumanBeing Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)
    You should be looking into a 75 Gallon or larger tank for all those troublesome Goldies. They live a long time so they need plenty of space to grow and lots of water to dilute their waste. For the time being definitely keep up with daily water changes.

6. Sayba Well Known Member Member

I would probably try to rehome them to someone with a pond or maybe look in to building your own pond (which is a lot of trouble to go to for fish you didn't really want).

Maybe if you rehomed a few of them you could buy a large tank and just keep one or two of them, you would still need a huge tank though just for two common goldfish. The danio would be happier with it's own kind, they like to swim in schools and like warmer water then goldfish, I would just see if a LFS would take it off you.

Sorry this happened to you, I got into fish keeping in similar circumstances, fish as prizes should be banned, I was after a spyro the dragon plush, ended up with a goldfish... Cost me a bomb in taxis finding the guy a better home.

7. renthus Well Known Member Member

At this point, half the stock in my pond is from fish I've taken in from people exactly like you, and the other half are their offspring, lol. I'd say that for now you should get a big plastic bin or two, and keep the fish in there. A 10g just won't handle 5 goldies, even as a short-term home for young ones. Get the bins, reinforce with tape, and keep them in there for a little while until you can either dig a pond or find someone willing to add them to theirs.

By the way, are these fancies or comets? I suspect that they're feeder comets.

8. hopeful fish Well Known Member Member

Ooooohh!!! Smart idea, renthus! If you got a large cattle water tub or even a few storage bins (reinforced, or course) you could definitely do a temporary large tank! I even know that a few people tend to keep goldies in these permanently, as an indoor-pond setup.

9. Sayba Well Known Member Member

Planning to do that myself in the future, no need to worry about harsh winters. I think this would be a great home for the poor goldfish, they will think they've died and gone to heaven with all that space to swim in.