Fish Are Slowly Dying Important

1. FishSmart

FishSmart Valued Member Member

I had two fish so far pass and I’m just not sure why the Parameters are
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrate: 40
    Nitrite: 0

And my tank is cycled, it’s just my guppies are dying off slowly. I have noticed that the ones that have died had slightly ripped tails. Could this be an infection or from fighting? Here are some pictures of them. Image1527588913.663536.jpg Image1527588949.532585.jpg Image1527588979.644865.jpg
    There is absolutely nothing else wrong with the other fish it’s just the guppies, but there could be a problem in the future so if I see something arise I will update you I just need help ASAP!

2. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

I'm so sorry for your losses. Fancy guppies these days are more sensitive than other fish, so there may be something slightly off that's affecting only them. They could also be more susceptible to a disease or something because they stress easily. Any recent additions in the past month or so? For now, I guess my best advice would be to try and take the nitrates down a bit, just to lower stress and see if that helps. Are you having any temperature fluctuations? I'm sorry you're losing fish, especially when it seems you're doing everything correctly. Also those are gorgeous guppies, I really love the color patterns, and that endler is awesome.

3. OP
    OP
    FishSmart

Yea they seem to be because all the other fish are happy and healthy, the only thing that I can think of is the nitrates and I can do frequent water changes to help that. And no additional fish have been added, and I don’t think there has been anything going on with the temperature. And thank you so much! And I know right they’re very pretty and are special to our family of fish but it happens thanks so much for your help I’ll keep you updated.

4. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

If nothing else, a couple of water changes always seem to help fish recover. I don't know if this is applicable, but with shrimp, if there are deaths anywhere from a few days apart to a week or so, it's generally a bacterial infection. How far apart are the deaths?

5. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

If their tails are ripped up, Im wondering if that cichlid you have might be getting them.

6. skar

skar Well Known Member Member

Your ram looks pale,
    I wouldn't say that is normal coloration.
    Your nitrates are very high imo.

I suggest more frequent water changes at this point.

7. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

What’s the tank size and how many fish? I agree that the nitrates are too high. Mine are never over 20. As @skar said, those Bolivian Rams look very stressed.

8. OscarHoya

OscarHoya New Member Member

What other fish do you have in there? I'm curious how that cichlid does with guppies.

9. snowballPLECO

snowballPLECO Valued Member Member

How long have you had your Ram? My god he’s the most pale Ram I’ve ever seen

10. AquaticJ

It should be noted that Bolivian Rams are not as colorful as the other species of Rams you may be thinking of (Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi). Additionally, Bolivian Rams are very peaceful fish, even more so than the other type of Rams. With that said, they’re still very pale.

11. OP
    OP
    FishSmart

They were about two days apart sadly.

The cichlid is very friendly, he’s quite the nice one around the other fish.

Yes I know I’m working on the nitrates.
    The light had just been turned on, and I’ve been told he’s pale because of my stones. Is this still bad coloration? Image1527633206.073711.jpg

At this point I don’t know what to do, everyone is saying about my ram should i get rid of him here’s my stocking tell me what to get rid of I want to have a happy and healthy tank.

1 German blue ram
    1 Bolivian ram
    5 guppies
    10 neon tetras
    1 dwarf Gourami
    2 kuhli loaches
    1 bristle nose pleco

I apologized the stocking is not good, I’m a newbie and this was an OK from a pet store... probably not the best place to get stocking ideas from but this is what I’ve got.

And how should I bring my Nitrates down?

I have my stocking down below he’s a sweet heart and has a great appetite and seems happy.

Keep in mind that he had just woken up m which I think may have stressed him there’s a picture of him on this forum that will show you him now.

12. AquaticJ

What’s the tank size? I’m guessing you’re overstocked because these fish all together would require a pretty large tank. That would explain the nitrates. Nitrates are lowered by water changes.

13. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

Hello and welcome!
    First, guppies do tend to be kinda sensitive now a days, and it may have been the nitrates. Like said before, water changes bring those down (a 50% water change with bring the nitrates down by half, etc). Also, what test kit do you use? If the API master kit, did you do anything to determine if the nitrates are actually 40 or 80? The color on the card looks the same to me.
    As far as your stocking, it will depend on the tank size. However, the one that really stands out as being incompatible is the German blue ram. They prefer temps around 80-86, where everything else in the tank will do well in the low to mid 70s.

14. OP
    OP
    FishSmart

Yea I will continue to do the water changes!! :) and yea I use the API master test kit and no the only thing I specifically use is the API master test kit. And I can get rid of my GBR and what exact temperature should I keep the tank at?

15. AngelTheGypsy

I would say 74 would be a good temp. What size is the tank?

16. OP
    OP
    FishSmart

Thank you and it’s 29 gallon, and It may be any suggestions on what to get rid of I don’t want they to be unhappy and feel crammed.

17. AngelTheGypsy

You should be ok. Just a little info on stocking a tank.
    You kinda have 3 levels. Top, middle and bottom. On the top you have the Dwarf gourami (DG) and the guppies. In the middle(ish) you have the neons, though they tend to stay in the lower half of the tank. On the bottom you have the rams, kuhlis and pleco. That’s pretty well spread out, but fully stocked. Once you rehome the German Blue Ram, I would up your school of kuhlis to about 6, so they feel more comfortable. But I wouldn’t add anything else, and I probably wouldn’t replace the guppies if they start dying (though hopefully they won’t).

18. OP
    OP
    FishSmart

Yea I was hoping I got that right lol and thank you I will rehome my GBR. And I’ll add more kuhlis.

What temp should I keep the tank?

19. AngelTheGypsy

74-76

20. AquaticJ

Agree with @AngelTheGypsy. What type of filter do you have besides the sponge I see in the back? You're tightly stocked, but not overstocked. I'd suggest 50% water changes weekly. I was going to suggest rehoming the GBR as she suggested, I keep mine at 84.