Fish are Friends, can I add more fish 10 gallon?

UnknownUser

HI all! I have a 10 gal cycled tank with one guppy and one platy. I would like to add one or two more small fish (2in) with them to fully stock the tank, and was wondering what fish get along with platy and guppies? My guppy is pretty passive and lets my platy chase him all around the tank, while he flirts with her. They have a great relationship

kallililly1973

I wouldn't add any live bearers unless you have more tanks incase the existing ones have some fry. How about a school of nano fish? 6 Ember tetra or 6 chilI or lambchop rasboras.

Corydork

You could definitely get a couple Cory catfish. They’ll eat leftovers on the bottom of the tank, but you will have to feed them special food as well to make sure they’re healthy.
They’re super funny fish to watch as well, they’ll swim up and down the glass, dart to the surface of the water and then dart back down to the substrate and so much more.

UnknownUser

I wouldn't add any live bearers unless you have more tanks incase the existing ones have some fry. How about a school of nano fish? 6 Ember tetra or 6 chilI or lambchop rasboras.
So the pet store talked about adding a "school of fish" as well. But it's just a 10 gallon, and already has two 2 inch fish! How do 6 more fish fit in there?

The livebearers in the tank won't have fry; guppy and platy cannot mate according to the fish store people after I bought a breeding net!

kallililly1973

So the pet store talked about adding a "school of fish" as well. But it's just a 10 gallon, and already has two 2 inch fish! How do 6 more fish fit in there?

The livebearers in the tank won't have fry; guppy and platy cannot mate according to the fish store people after I bought a breeding net!
The fish I mentioned will barely get to an inch so having a small school of them will be fine. It also depends on your WC routine and filtration. I have about 12 guppies 2 nerites an otto cat and 2 cory cats in my 10 it has an Aquaclear 30 and a sponge filter and is also heavily planted.

UnknownUser

The fish I mentioned will barely get to an inch so having a small school of them will be fine. It also depends on your WC routine and filtration. I have about 12 guppies 2 nerites an otto cat and 2 cory cats in my 10 it has an Aquaclear 30 and a sponge filter and is also heavily planted.
Ah, I don't have any real plants in my tank. I have a tetra 20 and a small sponge filter. I typically do a 50% WC once a week.

Do you think two female betta fish would be okay? Too aggressive?

*EDIT* I could get plants but I have gravel substrate (link attached to what it is) so I wouldn't be able to.. plant.. the plant... I have heard some plants float though?

kallililly1973

Ah, I don't have any real plants in my tank. I have a tetra 20 and a small sponge filter. I typically do a 50% WC once a week. Do you think two female betta fish would be okay? Too aggressive?
I've never had any female bettas but that could be hit or miss depending on their temperment. Maybe if it was a 20 the bettas could work.

Corydork

Ah, I don't have any real plants in my tank. I have a tetra 20 and a small sponge filter. I typically do a 50% WC once a week. Do you think two female betta fish would be okay? Too aggressive?

Get some plants and wood in there. It would work, but you can sometimes get an aggressive betta (yes, even females) and you definitely want to break up the line of sight.

UnknownUser

Idk if any of you saw my edit so I'm going to repost it haha

I could get plants but I have gravel substrate (link attached to what it is) so I wouldn't be able to.. plant.. the plant... I have heard some plants float though?

What does the wood do? I don't know much about it

kallililly1973

you can grow plants in gravel or if you get a piece of driftwood you can get an anubis and java fern and or java moss and tie glue or use an elastic to hold it to the DW.

Dewclaw83

I wouldn’t recommend two female bettas together in this tank.

With only two females one will likely bully the other to death

UnknownUser

you can grow plants in gravel or if you get a piece of driftwood you can get an anubis and java fern and or java moss and tie glue or use an elastic to hold it to the DW.
I like the idea.... plants feel like a whole new world of information and I just finally learned the basics of fish! Such a big hobby....

Could you answer a few questions I have about it all? Well.. I guess the main question is what do plants and driftwood do for the tank? If I'm not mistaken, plants remove something toxic like nitrates? ammonia? Does this allow you to go longer without a wc? And I've heard driftwood does something as well, maybe changes the pH?

I just don't want to go throwing plants and wood in my established tank with my two fish because I don't want them getting all thrown off and set off a disease from anything changing, so I've been nervous about adding plants.

Crispii

I wouldn’t recommend two female bettas together in this tank.
Two females can definitely go in the same 10 gallon tank, but it has to be divided.

kallililly1973

Both plants and DW will be beneficial. Like you said plants will help remove toxins and add oxygen and DW certain types will alter your PH slightly and also release tannins which can turn the water a little tea colored but is also beneficial to your fish. I'm sure a couple quick searches around this site and some youtube videos will get you well on your way to a nice natural looking tank. Almost forgot I wouldn't change your WC routine if you add plants they will also need clean fresh water as they will use some minerals we don't test for in our tanks. That's just my short crash course on plants and DW others may chime in with a ton more info than I can give.

Corydork

Both plants and DW will be beneficial. Like you said plants will help remove toxins and add oxygen and DW certain types will alter your PH slightly and also release tannins which can turn the water a little tea colored but is also beneficial to your fish. I'm sure a couple quick searches around this site and some youtube videos will get you well on your way to a nice natural looking tank. Almost forgot I wouldn't change your WC routine if you add plants they will also need clean fresh water as they will use some minerals we don't test for in our tanks. That's just my short crash course on plants and DW others may chime in with a ton more info than I can give.

I’ll be completely honest, I didn’t really care about plants until maybe a year ago. It’s definitely a whole new world in addition to all the crazy things that you have to learn when you first get fish, but it’s worth it. Plants don’t remove the need for a water change, but they’ll act as a buffer if you’re on vacation or forget to do a water change for a few days. There’s also a large variety of plants that are commonly available, so you’ll be able to find something to match your taste.

UnknownUser

So you guys think if I got DW and say, java moss and a java fern since they're easy and remove my fake decorations, my two fish right now won't have a heart attack from the changes? haha I'd love to try some plants!

Crispii

So you guys think if I got DW and say, java moss and a java fern since they're easy and remove my fake decorations, my two fish right now won't have a heart attack from the changes? haha I'd love to try some plants!
No, unless you added the wood slowly.

UnknownUser

OH! Should I remove the air stone? I just read not to disrupt the surface too much and to keep the CO2 levels in the tank for plants

No, unless you added the wood slowly.

What do you mean add it slowly? Isn't it just a piece of wood?

Crispii

OH! Should I remove the air stone? I just read not to disrupt the surface too much and to keep the CO2 levels in the tank for plants
You don't have to remove the air stone and not all plants require CO2 for optimum growth.

What do you mean add it slowly? Isn't it just a piece of wood?
Don't just chuck it in.

Corydork

Java fern and Java moss have very low CO2 requirements. Keep your air stone to make sure that there’s enough oxygen in your water.
Your fish won’t freak out if you change the tank, just don’t cause them any extra stress (no need to net them or do a huge water change before or after or anything like that). Livebearers are very curious and will probably enjoy the change.

UnknownUser

Thank you all for the info! Last question (maybe) if I decide to change the substrate to something I can plant with, how would I go about swapping over? Change out a little at a time?

Corydork

Thank you all for the info! Last question (maybe) if I decide to change the substrate to something I can plant with, how would I go about swapping over? Change out a little at a time?

I’ve changed the substrate in my tanks probably a hundred times by now. I just remove and replace all the substrate at once. Most of your BB is in your filter, anyways.
If you live in the Midwest (around the tri-state area) I’d be glad to give you some of my eco-complete planted aquarium substrate for free. I’ve been trying to get rid of some of it for a while. I bought too much lol.

Dewclaw83

Two females can definitely go in the same 10 gallon tank, but it has to be divided.
I thought they were talking about putting them together. But yeah divided would be fine

UnknownUser

I thought they were talking about putting them together. But yeah divided would be fine

I was! Which means it's very much not going to happen, so thank you for the information!

I’ve changed the substrate in my tanks probably a hundred times by now. I just remove and replace all the substrate at once. Most of your BB is in your filter, anyways.
If you live in the Midwest (around the tri-state area) I’d be glad to give you some of my eco-complete planted aquarium substrate for free. I’ve been trying to get rid of some of it for a while. I bought too much lol.

Sadly I live in New England.
Do you move your fish into a holding tank? Some websites do some say not to. I feel like my fish very much prefer me not moving them. How many lbs do you recommend to plant a 10 gallon tank? How deep should the soil be?

Corydork

I was! Which means it's very much not going to happen, so thank you for the information!

Sadly I live in New England.
Do you move your fish into a holding tank? Some websites do some say not to. I feel like my fish very much prefer me not moving them. How many lbs do you recommend to plant a 10 gallon tank? How deep should the soil be?

I use 2 pounds of planted substrate per gallon and look for a 2-3 inch deep gravel bed for planting, it allows much more room for root growth.

Edit: apparently it posted the same thing twice...
...odd.

Random Great Thread!

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom