Fish Are Dying

1. TJG

TJG Valued Member Member

Ok so in the last week or two I have lost 7 copies, my ram and a rainbow fish. I lost two discus a little before this but thought they were a different reason. Now my Denison bard is on his way out it appears. There are no physical signs that I can tell. All the fish that have died, except one of the green copies which was half eaten when I found him in the morning, have looked perfectly healthy after death. They were all just fine the day before swimming and eating just fine. The next day either dead or in the case of the ram and Denison lying on the substrate gasping and every so often they swim in a spurt. Again as far as I can tell no physical symptoms. This is in my 125 that has been running as is since December and before that ran with gravel for 3 or 4 years. I stir the sand to make sure there are no gas bubbles. It is pool filter sand . 0,0,15 are water test results with API master kit pH 7.8 temp 78 to 79. Water changes every 3 to 4 days. Last one was done yesterday.

Could this be columnaris? If so I see in the stickied article to use tetra fungus guard or jungle guard tabs. Is there some thing else? I am about to go to Petco to see if I can find something.

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Anything is possuble, and it couldn't hurt to treat your tank as if there is a rampaging pathogen.

But, having said that, have you Spring cleaned or sprayed (inside or out) for insects? Sometimes chemicals travel, and they can have devastating impacts.

3. OP
    OP
    TJG

TJG Valued Member Member

Nothing different in last few months but a few fish added.

4. maggie thecat

The new fish may be the culprits. I would definitely do a systemic treatment of the tank then.

5. OP
    OP
    TJG

TJG Valued Member Member

At the store now and all they have is microbe lift artemiss and imaginarium bacterial infection remedy. Not sure which to get

6. maggie thecat

I can not find ingredients on the bacterial infection remedy. It might be an okay stop gap until you can get something known to be realiable, but it might not.

7. OP
    OP
    TJG

TJG Valued Member Member

Yeah it says it's an all natural herbal remedy.

8. maggie thecat

It says it's antibacterial and antifungal, so it could be tea tree oil, and they're trying avoid Melafix's lawyers. Or not.

Vague isn't very helpful.

9. OP
    OP
    TJG

TJG Valued Member Member

I ended up getting some Seachem Kanaplex. I had to order it on line but it got here today. I am going to start treatment tomorrow. Should I displace the powder in some tank water first or just add the powder right in?

On a different note what are some medications that everyone keeps on hand to treat new fish in quarantine? I am going to be setting up a quarantine system and wanted to see.