fish Aquarium size questions

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by jim55379, Mar 27, 2006.

1. jim55379Valued MemberMember

Does anyone know why when aquariums are manufactured they use odd sizes when they get larger. I hear of 29, 47, and 37 gallon tanks. Then to make matters worse some of the viewers use liters. I think that's like a quart. I'm not real up on the metric system I guess ??? I wonder why they don't make them in even numbers so it would be easier to figure out how much chlorine treatment ect to use in the tanks? ??? :( Also am thinking about getting a larger aquarium. What is the maximum size you can use if the flooring is like 3/4" plywood? My sister has like a real heavy 75 gallon in the basement. This is fine because of cement but I know the water is approximately 10 pounds per gallon and then with the rocks is there a danger of a flooring colapse? That would sure be a lot of water to clean up. :-\

2. JasonWell Known MemberMember

I think the sizes are based on the length not the tank capacity. For example there are 2 foot, 3 foot . 4 foot aquariums. And I dont even use your system, we r on the metric, and everything is just a whole lot simpler as everything revolves around the numbers 1 and 0.

BTW 1 US gallon = 3.78L
    1 UK gallon = 4.65L

AS to the wieght thing, got no idea only that 1L = 1Kg

3. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

I believe water weighs approx. 8 pounds per gallon. If the metric to gallons or gallons to metric is a problem you could use our volume converter on this site. Click on FishLore.com at the top ,look to the left and click on calculator.
    Carol

4. MarcWell Known MemberMember

Your floor is 3/4" plywood? I'm surprised it could hold you, letalone furniture. I'm seriously doubtful your floor is plywood to begin with. Unless you live in a treehouse or something :)

5. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

isnt it up to 125gallons you don't need to reinforce the floor but right around 125 you need to reinforce the floor with something?

Austin

6. jim55379Valued MemberMember

Mark.. What do you think floors are made out of ??? cement??? All floors are made from 3/4 plywood or particle board with studs running underneath spaced at 16"-24" apart. Marc ask any builder what a floor is made out of or go to Home Depot. 3/4" will support a lot because studs are in between them.

7. jim55379Valued MemberMember

Thanks for the info ATM machine ::)

8. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

don't quote me on that that's just what i have heard

9. MarcWell Known MemberMember

I work construction! I just got confused when you said your floor was 3/4" plywood, I thought you meant it was JUST 3/4" plywood since typically floors are 3/4" plywood with the studs as yours is. I didn't think it really needed to be said so I assumed that's what you meant. :-[