Fish Appetites Growing

1. kbn

kbn Valued Member Member

Hi! My fishes appetites have grown greatly and suddenly and I don't know why. One day they were fine and the next day they were starving every time I passed by, u know how fish act when they're hungry.No changes at all except I fed them something new- White grubs you get in rice, but I haven't fed them those since. Water normal no change, nothing changed at all. And don't suggest that they're not hungry because I know it when they are.Thank you

2. BReefer97

BReefer97 Well Known Member Member

Fish constantly search for food. Their main objective in life is to eat and breed. And yes, I’m going to tell you your fish are not hungry so here goes: your fish are not hungry!

If you feed them once a day, they’re completely okay.

3. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

What fish do you have and how old are they?

4. OP
    OP
    kbn

kbn Valued Member Member

I guess I would have said the same thing if I was you but believe me, they do seem hungrier than before. Thank you, anyway

Iridescent shark,honey gourami, fancy goldfish and a calico goldfish

5. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

If they're fairly new fish (1-3 months in your care) they might have finally realized that you are the "food bringer" and beg because of that. I have black skirt tetras in quarantine that do this as soon as I enter the room. They get fed 2 and sometimes 3 times a day. They're not hungry either, but they still beg.

6. OP
    OP
    kbn

kbn Valued Member Member

Well that'd be it. Thanx, I got them 6 months ago.

7. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaro Well Known Member Member

I know what you mean. My fish seem hungrier now than before. I feed the same amount of food and they used to eat it and carry on with their lives. Now, they eat it and spend up to 15 minutes looking for food all over the tank, like desperately. That's a recent behaviour.

8. OP
    OP
    kbn

kbn Valued Member Member

Do you know why?

9. JoeCamaro

Not really. I guess they have grown and have bigger appetites. Anyway I don't feed more because my fish are tiny so their stomachs are super tiny, I don't want to overfeed them.

10. OP
    OP
    kbn

kbn Valued Member Member

The extra food doesn't seen to be needed by them does it? Might be an evolutionary trait to grab as much food as you can and gobble it down before someone else does.Thanks

11. JoeCamaro

They want it, but most likely
    Do they want it? Yes. Do they need it? Probably not. I do believe they eat as much as the can because in the wild they may not eat every day.