Fish Appetites Growing

kbn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi! My fishes appetites have grown greatly and suddenly and I don't know why. One day they were fine and the next day they were starving every time I passed by, u know how fish act when they're hungry.No changes at all except I fed them something new- White grubs you get in rice, but I haven't fed them those since. Water normal no change, nothing changed at all. And don't suggest that they're not hungry because I know it when they are.Thank you

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Fish constantly search for food. Their main objective in life is to eat and breed. And yes, I’m going to tell you your fish are not hungry so here goes: your fish are not hungry!

If you feed them once a day, they’re completely okay.

kbn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
BReefer97 said:
Fish constantly search for food. Their main objective in life is to eat and breed. And yes, I’m going to tell you your fish are not hungry so here goes: your fish are not hungry!

If you feed them once a day, they’re completely okay.
I guess I would have said the same thing if I was you but believe me, they do seem hungrier than before. Thank you, anyway

Thunder_o_b said:
What fish do you have and how old are they?
Iridescent shark,honey gourami, fancy goldfish and a calico goldfish

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If they're fairly new fish (1-3 months in your care) they might have finally realized that you are the "food bringer" and beg because of that. I have black skirt tetras in quarantine that do this as soon as I enter the room. They get fed 2 and sometimes 3 times a day. They're not hungry either, but they still beg.

kbn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well that'd be it. Thanx, I got them 6 months ago.

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I know what you mean. My fish seem hungrier now than before. I feed the same amount of food and they used to eat it and carry on with their lives. Now, they eat it and spend up to 15 minutes looking for food all over the tank, like desperately. That's a recent behaviour.

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
kbn said:
Do you know why?
Not really. I guess they have grown and have bigger appetites. Anyway I don't feed more because my fish are tiny so their stomachs are super tiny, I don't want to overfeed them.

kbn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The extra food doesn't seen to be needed by them does it? Might be an evolutionary trait to grab as much food as you can and gobble it down before someone else does.Thanks

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They want it, but most likely
kbn said:
The extra food doesn't seen to be needed by them does it? Might be an evolutionary trait to grab as much food as you can and gobble it down before someone else does.Thanks
Do they want it? Yes. Do they need it? Probably not. I do believe they eat as much as the can because in the wild they may not eat every day.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom