Fish Appears Sick; Red Splotches and Bloating

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by FoulFishes, Jul 9, 2015.

1. FoulFishes

FoulFishes Valued Member Member

Hi guys, I am hoping someone could give advice on how to help my fish. I think he's getting sick; immediately after feeding I noticed that he was bloated and had red splotches on his body. They are mostly on his belly and lower side areas. He also seems to be inhaling/breathing heavily compared to the my other fish. Its hard to determine wether the red splotches are on the surface or below the surface of the scales, but it looks more internal than external to me. He may have had these symptoms prior to feeding but I did not notice them. I've never encountered this issue before with any of my fish, and it doesn't appear to be effecting any other fish.

The fish in question is a male Harlequin Rasbora. I'm doing a water change immediately. Any advice on how I can save my fish is much appreciated!

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

What are your water parameters? Do you have a test kit to check? Cycled tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    FoulFishes

I don't currently own a test kit, though the tank is thoroughly cycled. Its been running for over 3 years. The filter media was very dirty so I replaced 50% of it.

4. Dom90

That might have started a mini-cycle by replacing half of the filter media. I would get a test kit to check or bring it to a local fish store to have your water tested.

5. OP
    OP
    FoulFishes

The red sores and bloating have not gotten any better. I've done some research and these seems to be signs of either Fluke Worms or Fish TB. Do you think its likely that could be the cause? I only put in some new filter media with the old, but I also have tons of moss in this tank to help with nitrates. Added prime to increase bacteria

6. Dom90

7. OP
    OP
    FoulFishes

I meant to type Stress Zyme. I did add Prime to the new water though lol.

8. Dom90

Stress Zyme doesnt work, its snake oil. Only bacteria products that are known to work are Seachem Stability, Tetra SafeStart and Dr Tim's One and Only.

9. OP
    OP
    FoulFishes

This is how the redness looks on my fish.

Bloating is increasing. I can get any medicines that would be available at stores like pet smart, i'm just not sure what he needs at this point.

10. Dom90

It's hard to advise anything without knowing your water parameters.

11. OP
    OP
    FoulFishes

I've never had problems with water parameters in the tank before, but I can get them to check it at the pet store. So I was hoping to go there to get an initial treatment started. I have ICH medicine on had but there are no signs of ICH in this fish. Do you think the red sores are fish ulcers?

12. Dom90

I honestly don't know, maybe someone experienced like Anders247 will know.

13. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I'm not that experienced with fish diseases (fortunately). Rivieraneo may be able to help you.

14. OP
    OP
    FoulFishes

Do you guys use any basic medicines for fish health like Stress Coat or General Cure? I was thinking maybe I could try something to help improve his immune system or to help fight off whatever might be going on.

Also, my fish has started going up to the surface quite a bit, as if he's looking for food. I think he's having trouble taking in oxygen...

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  15. Anders247

I kind of doubt it's flukes, though it may be fish TB, though again I am no expert on this in any way. Wait til Riv comes. Sorry about your fish, hope he gets better.

16. OP
    OP
    FoulFishes

How come you doubt its Flukes? Just curious as I read that Flukes were way more common than fish TB. Though, I've had little experience with fish illness until now, luckily.

17. Anders247

I haven't heard of red blotches when there's flukes.... though I could be wrong.

18. OP
    OP
    FoulFishes

I just did searches on fish diseases with redness, red sores, bloating, etc. And the ones that came up multiple times were: Fluke worms, Fish TB, Dropsy, and Ammonia/Nitrate burns. They also suggested that fish can get scraped or cut and cause bleeding but that doesn't explain the bloating or strange behavior.

I've also been considering moving the fish to a different tank, but i'm worried the extra stress might make things worse. But at the same, I can't imagine losing that whole tank if this is contagious, that would be terrible. This is my healthiest and longest running tank, its never crashed before.

19. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

If it's something contagious, I'm sorry to say your whole tank is already infected/at risk. I would treat the whole tank instead of using qt at this point. Once you find out what it is, which I have no idea on. :/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

20. Anders247

Are their scales pineconing?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice