Fish and Shrimp

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by Mark7A, Dec 19, 2012.

1. M

Mark7A Valued Member Member

Hello,

I'm a noob fishkeeper. Actually, pre-noob as my fish tank (56 gallon pillar) is currently cycling and I have no fish just yet.

I posted elsewhere here on fishlore to get comments on a various fish communities. Learning a great deal. My latest idea is a pretty laid back tank with peaceful fish living in harmony (think Bob Marley with gills). Additionally, I had visions of happy fish swimming and playing as little shrimp and snails scamper across the tank structure (should bring back visions of sea-monkeys). As I think I am learning, shrimp and larger fish such as mollies or platys don't get along.

Bummer, as I am losing my sea-monkey vision.

Is my assumption correct that I should probably stay away from a tank mix that includes these types of fish with shrimp? Are snails safe at least?

I have a 4 gallon bio-orb. Would that be a suitable place to have shrimp and a snail or two (and perhaps a dwarf frog)? I think I have a bit of MTS and my tank is only in week two of the cycle...

Let me know your thoughts.

2. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

Hi and welcome!

Unfortunately, most common shrimp can fall prey to hungry fish. There are larger species of shrimp that may survive mollies/platies, but it is always a risk. Snails are generally quite safe.

A 4gal is perfect for shrimp and snails. I have RCS (Red Cherry Shrimp) and Ramshorn Snails thriving in my 5gal planted tank. I will let someone else comment on the ADF.

If you have MTS, you are definitely in the right place.

3. Tonia

Tonia Well Known Member Member

Good to meet you, Mark!!

I personally like having MTS in my tanks.. they help keep the substrate aerated and stop gas pockets from forming.. and they help keep down any plant debris, thus keeping everyone healthier. Also, some other snails can be kept with your mollies and platies if that's what you wish to keep.

Some shrimps are a bit larger, but you may have to search to find them.. I have some 2 inch glass shrimp in a community tank with neons and glass bloodfins and I keep a smaller 7.9g aquarium just for the red cherry shrimp.

I've found watching the shrimp going about their little shrimpy ways to be very relaxing and keep them right by my computer. They also have a couple MTS in with them and everyone gets along well.

Unfortunately, the vision of them all playing together may not come true, if they are all swimming together, it's most likely that someone is chasing them in order to eat them.

Can't wait to see what you decide to do! Very exciting!!

4. OP
    OP
    M

I can't blame the fish, shrimp can be tasty. I might try one larger shrimp to see if they coexist, and Amano maybe. I'll make sure there are little hiding spots.

Good to hear about the 4gal biorb. That would be cool wish some colorful shrimp, and maybe a few neons (hopefully they'll be too small). You think three or four shrimp and couple snails would fit?

I see you're from NSW. I've been to the east coast of Australia a few times (Melbourne, Frasier Island, Queensland)

5. OP
    OP
    M

Thanks Shayla,

I too enjoy watching them. The "playing together" was more tongue in cheek, but I love the videos of them scampering around.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice