5 Gallon Tank Fish and shrimp? Or one or the other?

Shannon529

I was thinking of getting 5-6 chili rasbora for my 5 gallon (long). I was also kind of curious to try shrimp for the first time. Specifically looking at red fire, blue diamond, and sunkist shrimp, 5 of each. Just for added color, and from what I read, they were all peaceful and same parameters. Has anyone had success (or horror story) with mixing shrimp? And would that be too much for a 5 gallon long? I have a gray slate cave in there, as well as java ferns, amazon swords, and multiple rocks covered in java moss. Planning on getting more moss (and if I do end up with shrimp, is there a plant your shrimp seem to really love?)

Tldr version: 5-6 chili rasbora, 15 mixed shrimp- too much for planted 5gal?

UnknownGuppyLover

Personally, I have never mixed shrimp. I’ve only kept one kind together. But I believe that if all three shrimps you want in ur tank are all neocaridinas, then they will most likely interbreed and produce not so ideal colors as they go (if your worried about breeding).
But stocking wise, I think you’ll be fine. 15 shrimp isn’t actually that much in a 5 gallon. I know people who keep more than that in the same tank volume.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

I haven't kept chili rasboras, but I suspect you could keep a few more than 5-6. Shrimp bioload is so small I wouldn't bother figuring it in. I've removed 75 from a 10 gallon tank to sell and couldn't really tell that the population had gone down much.

I would encourage you to let the tank run for several months before adding shrimp since they do much better in an established tank. And UnknownGuppyLover is right about mixing colors. The offspring will be all over the place with colors and patterns, but after a few generations you'll have mostly all clear and/or brown. There's nothing wrong with that if it's what you want, but if not I'd encourage you to get a single color. Even then you'll need to cull wild types or eventually the same thing will happen, just not as fast as if you mix them from the start.

Upvote 0

Shannon529

Awesome! Thank you both so much. I wasn't really thinking of breeding them, but I suppose that's a thing that might happen, huh? Lol. I could always put the not so cute ones in my other tanks and just keep the nano as the stylish one. And same goes with worst case scenario for the chili rasbora. If it seems like they aren't happy, I'll move them to a bigger tank and get a few more shrimp instead. Would love a mystery snail in there, but sadly the lid to the tank is open in the middle. Speaking of... how good of escape artists are shrimp? The water is a bit full to the lid because of the flow, but I can always cover the opening with some mesh fabric.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Awesome! Thank you both so much. I wasn't really thinking of breeding them, but I suppose that's a thing that might happen, huh? Lol. I could always put the not so cute ones in my other tanks and just keep the nano as the stylish one. And same goes with worst case scenario for the chili rasbora. If it seems like they aren't happy, I'll move them to a bigger tank and get a few more shrimp instead. Would love a mystery snail in there, but sadly the lid to the tank is open in the middle. Speaking of... how good of escape artists are shrimp? The water is a bit full to the lid because of the flow, but I can always cover the opening with some mesh fabric.

Assuming you get males and females, you can change "might happen" to "will happen."

Upvote 0

UnknownGuppyLover

Ive heard about shrimp escaping, although I haven’t had one escape on my end. As a precaution, I probably would put the mesh, but don’t worry too much, especially if you have plants.

Upvote 0

Shannon529

Assuming you get males and females, you can change "might happen" to "will happen."
That's the thing. I'm not sure if it's a place that sells all males, or a mix. For all I know, I'll have 5 of each color all males. I don't mind having babies, though. Even if they're ugly. Just move them to a different tank once they grow a bit.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

That's the thing. I'm not sure if it's a place that sells all males, or a mix. For all I know, I'll have 5 of each color all males. I don't mind having babies, though. Even if they're ugly. Just move them to a different tank once they grow a bit.

I would be very surprised if they sell only one sex. I'm not saying that never happens, but I've never seen or heard of it.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
imba
  • Question
Replies
Views
NightShift
  • Question
Replies
Views