Fish And Rocks

ASquidabs0727

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Does anyone's fish ever pick up gravel in their mouth and try to eat them, fail, and then spit them out? It causes quite a concern when my fish do this b/c I'm afraid they are going to choke.

musserump09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ASquidabs0727 said:
Does anyone's fish ever pick up gravel in their mouth and try to eat them, fail, and then spit them out? It causes quite a concern when my fish do this b/c I'm afraid they are going to choke.
What kind of fish?

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yep, what species? And what do you mean by gravel? What size? All my fish "eat" sand and spit it out. They are foraging for food hidden on the gravel which is normal. I have heard of goldfish choking on big gravel. I guess if your fish can put decent sized gravel in your mouth they are kind of big.
Fish like African cichlids build nests by moving around sand/gravel while goldfish (carp descendants) are natural bottom feeders which means they vacuum the bottom of river/lakes in search of food. It seems like instinct to me. I personally wouldnt remove the gravel cause the possibility is not enough for me but its there.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom