Fish And Fish Store, Rough 2 Months, Going Crazy! (long Story)

Platyarelife

Disclaimer : I am not talking bad about any well known fish stores. I will not give the name of this fish store. I will just be sharing my experience and hopefully someone here can offer some advice of what to do about this fish crisis I am having. I am pretty sad right now and have had a terrible 2 months dealing with fish and can really use some advice and some support. I do acknowledge that I could have done certain things differently and I am by no means perfect and made some stupid mistakes. I am currently trying to right these mistakes and hopefully save some fish lives this time around. I am still new to the hobby and have only been in for around 4-5 months.

Where to begin... I started off by making the choice to get rid of my 20 gallon tank and upgrade to a 54g corner tank which I absolutely love. I can fit all kinds of fish in there and have a wonderful community tank, right? I had 5 amazing platy that I have had for a few months and I loved them. Three red wags, sunset, and a mickey. I put the cycled matter into the big tank and did a fish in cycle with the red wags and all was great! It was time to get more fish! I got platy, panda corys and some zebra danios. Well... my Danios started dying and I figured it was from failed acclimation or a bad batch. Then shortly after they became aggressive to each other. Then before I knew it my platy were starting to itch their gills on the live plant I had. It started off as only a couple and it was only with the platy I had before I got the other. Well, this is strange, I thought. I posted a thread about it and no one knew much about it and I wasn't able to give much info cuz the platy looked healthy.
Then about a day later one of my new platy looked sickly. He wasn't eating and he looked skinny and he was breathing very heavy. DANGER! DANGER! Alarms were buzzing all over my head so I snatched that sick platy out right away and tossed him in a fish bowl as I have no hospital tank. Started googling like a mad woman trying to find what was wrong with my platy! Fungal? No. Bacteria? No signs of that either. Ich? No can't find any spots. So I posted on Fishlore again and one person came back and mentioned Flukes.
Flukes? What the heck is a fluke? After looking it up I went into panic mode and became horrified. That sick platy died in 3 days and in those 3 days he showed more than half of the symptoms to this invisible fish killer. My attention went right to my wonderful 54g and the platy's itching got worse. More platy became itchy and they were itching on those plants quiet a lot.
High in panic mode, doing research out the wazoo, while getting support from someone else going through the same thing but 10x worse. Discovered the ugly truth about Flukes and the medicine and the cost... of course all this happened at the worse time possible. Money was needed else where at the time for other important life events and had to make horrible decision of sacrificing the fishes health.
They all died in the end... It ripped me up. I made mistakes...Who ever breed those fish and sold them to the fish store with flukes made a huge mistake...
After all this junk and dreading getting more fish, I sadly cleaned out the fish tank and filter the best way I could find possible. I sucked it up and eventually got more fish from a different store after seeking help from fishlore. Again a HUGE mistake on my part.That's right... I made a massive mistake of going to another fish store... I thought I would be safe getting fish else where. I was very very wrong... I've been stocking the tank slowly for a week. As of yesterday I noticed something that broke my heart in two.
My wonderful and most favorite new fish I got... Pastrami the Gourami... started itching his gills on live plants... just like the start of the platy out break...
I had 10 green corys too. 3 Died after putting them in there and 2 died from a stocking mistake that was since than corrected. I believed those corys died from acclimation but now? Now, I think the fish store they lived in killed them. That's right.. I said it... same fish store I got Pastrami the now itchy Gourami (He isn't itching that bad and rarely).
Then of course I got 10 tiger barbs 2 days ago... from the SAME fish store. Right after the tiger barbs were added I began dosing the tank with Melafix. Starting to dose the tank was my best decision yet because as of an hour an a half ago I looked in the tank and noticed some of the tiger barbs have what looks to be a mouth fungus. Yup... just my luck.
I looked at them the best I could and it does look like the start of some mouth fungus and 3 of the barbs with it won't eat. Next, I noticed one barb swimming a little crooked. I took a better look at him and to my shock this barb was missing an eye! I know for a fact he lost his eye at the fish store because it's healed over and i've only had him 2 days! Someone suggested to throw him out but that seemed a bit harsh to me since he's eating and swimming around acting healthy. Other than swimming a bit funny like nemo did, it doesn't seem to be affecting him too bad and as long as he has his school and eats I feel there is no reason to kill him. So, my boyfriend and I have named him One-Eyed Willy.
I am exhausted and depressed about this fishy situation. I am horrified at that fish store for not taking care of the fish right and for selling sick fish. I had noticed some platy in their platy tank itching too.
I will keep dosing the tank with Melafix and I got Paraguard arriving in two days. I am more determined than ever to save all these fish. Though I am exhausted and stressed and sad I am trying to stay as positive as I can. I pray that these medicines will work and save these fish.
As of today I actually found a fish store than may be everything a fish needs. It's primarily salt water but they do some fresh and told me they will order fish. The best part about it? After ordering fish they keep it for 10 days and monitor the fish and dose the tanks with something special to heal wounds, kill any sickness, fungus, bacteria, parasites and other, to ensure they don't sell sick fish and that the fish are in good shape. I am hoping this is a good sign and i'm hoping they will be the end of these fish horrors. Even if I have to go many extra miles to get there.

Zerologist

Sorry for your losses but it's good to know that you might have found a good one!

Platyarelife

Sorry for your losses but it's good to know that you might have found a good one!
I sure hope so! I hate to say it but the one quote that is helping me stay determined is "Just keep swimming" ~ Dory, Finding Nemo. Thank you for taking the time to read this long post.

daddyalex27

Its weird that all your fish was getting effected espeacialy the corys

Platyarelife

Its weird that all your fish was getting effected espeacialy the corys
The 5 cory I have left are all happy swimmers. My rams are doing great. My Pleco looks normal. Just the barbs and Pastrami need to be helped now. Trying to kill this fast so it won't spread. I truly believe that they were never taken care of in the store and the people selling them to the store.

daddyalex27

I don't know they must have been doing something very wrong fingers crossed you have no more problems

Zerologist

I sure hope so! I hate to say it but the one quote that is helping me stay determined is "Just keep swimming" ~ Dory, Finding Nemo. Thank you for taking the time to read this long post.

Hehehehe... You're welcome! And yeah, nice quote.

Platyarelife

I don't know they must have been doing something very wrong fingers crossed you have no more problems
Thank you very much!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishowner24
Replies
Views
Pancakez
Replies
Views
TropicalFlow
Replies