Fish all swimming at top of tank

Ad

Reaction score
Hi
Can someone please let me know why all of my fish are swimming at the top of the tank.
Hope someone has some answers as we have lost 4 fish in the last 3 days, but have only just noticed the swimming at the top.
this may not be connected.
thanks in advance
Ad

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How long have you had your tank and have you done the Nitrogen Cycle on the tank?  https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Do you have the testing equipment to do tests for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? 
If so can you give us the results of the tests?

How often do you do water changes and how much - 30% 40% 50%? 

What size is the tank? 

How many fish do you have in there and what kind? 

Are you running an airstone in the tank? 

What temperature do you keep the tank at?

What kind of filter do you have in the tank?

I know this is a lot to ask but we really do need the information to give you an intelligent answer.  In the meantime, I would do a large (75% water change) and start an airstone and airpump.  This will at least take care of the two main possible problems for a day.  (ammonia poisoning in an uncycled tank and oxygen starvation).  Also the temperature of the tank should be about 80 degrees for the health of the fish.

Rose

Richard

Well Known
Reaction score
That's generally a good indicator there's not enough oxygen in the water.. either you don't have enough air going into the tank ( in which case you can adjust the airflow higher) or your air-pump is too small for the size of tank you have (in which case a bigger air-pump will be needed).. either way, it's a problem you'll have to deal with sooner than later to ensure healthy fish.

New Threads