Fish Aggression

cobra14762

Reaction score
So I have had my 55 gallon tank established for about 7 months now. And all I've had in the tank for the last 5 months are two angels who are now rather large. And until recentl, have had no problems whatsoever with aggression. I will add, that for the last 3 months I didn't change the water once, or test it. I had got super busy and all I did was feed them. Well the past week I tested the water , realized it was in pretty bad shape and did 2 50% water changes and added 2 Bolivian Ram cichlids today who have also been real aggressive to each other. I know both species tend to not be very aggressive, there is plenty of cover in there for the rams and what should be enough cover for the angels, as it has been for the last 6 months. Is it possible that it is because I changed the water twice this past week ? No matter the cause , how can I stop the aggression from the one angel, and the two Rams. I have two more blue rams coming in tomorrow.And I'm just not sure why all this aggression came out of nowhere. Or could it be my tank layout?
AEE40510-9E47-4DDE-B181-ECD95BC84DF3.jpeg

bwer2

Reaction score
What did the water reading say? Your water is way off if you only changed it once in the last 3 months (which can cause aggression issues with bad water quality). Also, it probably drastically changed your numbers doing the two 50% water changes which also irritates fish and can cause aggression as well.

Side note: Bolivian rams and German blues do not go together due to water temp differences. German blue rams ideally need water around 82 degrees

OP
C

cobra14762

Reaction score
Everything checks out good with water quality now that I've changed it twice. The Nitrates were crazy and now I'm back down to zero

And Okay I will handle that situation and put the Bolivian ones in another tank!!!

So also, if my parameters stay the same, will the aggression fix itself or always stay.

Thank you so much for your help so far.

bwer2

Reaction score
The two angels will always bicker no matter what especially when they mature. Bolivian rams as well...if they are two boys then for sure one will get bullied. Even if it’s a male and female they will not always end up pairing up. Same goes for the angels and German blue rams. A little fighting is normal when you have cichlids and dwarf cichlids. If one is getting bullied to the point it is hiding constantly and can’t/won’t eat, then you have a problem and I would suggest moving one.
Your nitrates had to be extremely high and close to dangerous for not doing a water change for 3 months. High nitrates will definitely cause aggression as it irritates the fish.
I love your tank setup...I think it actually works out great and has quite a few hiding spots. For the most part it also looks like you have a decent amount of swimming space for the angels at the top.

Keep in mind German blue rams are very sensitive to nitrates and water quality. They don’t have a long lifespan the way it is, so with bad water quality they are destined to die quickly. I believe Bolivian rams are pretty sensitive to nitrates as well.
I know you said you got busy and we understand that and life happens but always try to do weekly partial water changes...worse case scenario biweekly water changes...

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I really don't think that the water condition caused aggression. Sometimes you have an aggressive fish. especially with cichlids. but not just cichlids. And when you added the rams, the aggressive angel probably attacked them, now they are defensive. I think you should separate the angels. It is possible that they reached majority, but one does not want to mate, or they are both males and neither wants to mate.

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
@Noroomforshoe is correct.
You could also attempt what I have done and add more fish to spread or thin the aggression.
Ditch the fake plants and get some big bushy ones in there.
In my 55 gallon tank I have 3 rainbow sharks,1 african chiclid, 16 white skirt tetras, 1 bamboo shrimp, 2 striped raphael catfish(very juvenile), 1 golden wonder killifish,1 mosquito fish and around 8 to 10 mystery snails....the 1 rainbow is 4 in and a royal jerk,the chiclid I just brought home yesterday and was only 5 bucks because of how aggresive he was....him and the rainbow shark had it out for over an hour last night , the tetras stressed and freaked out, then a calm over took the tank and everyone is now chillin.
Give those fish another distraction, throw in like 30 neon tetras, the blue with red stripes....I bet you the tank calms down because they will lose focus and become distracted with other shiny fish haha.

bwer2

Reaction score
Water quality and cichlids are the problem...like I said all along

Rainbow sharks should never live with their own kind. MAYBE if it was a 125G but even then I wouldn’t...

New Threads