Fish Afraid of Light?

kyle88525

Reaction score
Every time I turn the tank light on, my neon tetras go insane. They go to the bottom of the tank and start swimming around like crazy. I want to have the light on all day so it makes a day and night cycle for the fish. If no one is in my dorm room during the day it is very dark and when I turn the tank light on the fish go insane. They even go to the bottom when the room light is on. If my room is pitch black and I turn a small lamp on, I see them swimming all over the tank, not just on the bottom. If I leave the light on for a little while they try and find something to hide under. Should I get a less intense bulb? I don't think it is any brighter than the lights they use at the LFS, so I don't understand why they don't like light.

stevieniks

Reaction score
my 4 neon tetras do that aswell. i see them swimming around like mad when the tank light is off and as soon as i put it on they all go and hide under the filter, unless its feeding time.

jason in houston

Reaction score
wow my 5 neons never go insane. thats weird! maybe they are sleeping?

Dino

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It sounds to me like the best way to light this tank would be by using indirect lighting.
Use a light source placed near the tanbk to light it.
Another option would be to use plants to decrease the intensity of the light.

Dino

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Neons really appreciate plants(artificial or real) to swim and hide in. They also like floating plants. If you could turn the room lights on for about 10 or 15 minutes befor the tank lights that might help also.
These are some of the things I do and the neons are out all the time
Carol

kyle88525

Reaction score
Thanks, for the tips. I am going to go out and buy a couple of live plants because all I have right now is one short artificial one.

kyle pearce

Reaction score
its fine i have 8 neon tetras an they all do that

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
but the thing is Kyle Pearce they shouldn't go insane every time the lights come on. If they do that means they are being frightened everytime the lights come on so anything you can do to make them comfortable instead of frightened is worth doing. Plants, floating plants and turning the room lights on for a bit before the tank lights are a few of those things you can do.
Carol

Icicle

Valued Member
Reaction score
My catfish and irridescent shark both hide in the light but come out in the dark. It's important to have lots in the tank for them to shelter under ....

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom