Fish acclimating as I write this, need help.

TimeHalt

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi people,
I just got my first fish today: two pea puffers. My 10 gallon has been cycled for a few weeks now. I put the bag in the tank and let it sit in it for 10 minutes, then I poured them into a container. Been drip acclimating for almost 40 minutes now. Just checked the temperature, the tank is at nearly 77 degrees while the container is at 72.5. Is this too big of a difference to put them in ? I'm worried that it's getting colder rather than warmer and not sure what to do.
Any help is appreciated.

To be more precise, right now my tank's water is around 76.7 degrees and the container is around 73.5 degrees. If I need to let it acclimate for another hour or two to get the temperature right, that's fine with me as long as the fish will be ok. It does seem it's going up but very slowly.

Best Answer - View Flyfisha's answer

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I do not know whether that temp difference is too big. But it seems you could temp acclimate after drip acclimating.

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
TimeHalt said:
Hi people,
I just got my first fish today: two pea puffers. My 10 gallon has been cycled for a few weeks now. I put the bag in the tank and let it sit in it for 10 minutes, then I poured them into a container. Been drip acclimating for almost 40 minutes now. Just checked the temperature, the tank is at nearly 77 degrees while the container is at 72.5. Is this too big of a difference to put them in ? I'm worried that it's getting colder rather than warmer and not sure what to do.
Any help is appreciated.
5° is pushing it for a rapid temp change.
What if you float the container in the tank and let it warm up gradually? Or is the container already floating?

OP
TimeHalt

TimeHalt

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wrench said:
5° is pushing it for a rapid temp change.
What if you float the container in the tank and let it warm up gradually? Or is the container already floating?
Yeah I thought so too. It's now a 4 degree difference though. The container is on the ground because of the siphon. And it's also a bit too large to put in the tank.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That is a very big difference. That will shock.
float the container in the fish tank . Add very small amounts of water every few ( 5 minutes) if you can’t get a drip thing happening with the correct temperature

OP
TimeHalt

TimeHalt

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When I realized there was a 5 degree difference I let the drip acclimator drip water a bit faster.

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
TimeHalt said:
Yeah I thought so too. It's now a 4 degree difference though. The container is on the ground because of the siphon. And it's also a bit too large to put in the tank.
If it's going up gradually and the fish do not seem stressed let it be at least until within 1°~.5°

OP
TimeHalt

TimeHalt

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Flyfisha said:
That is a very big difference. That will shock.
float the container in the fish tank . Add very small amounts of water every few ( 5 minutes) if you can’t get a drip thing happening with the correct temperature
Ok, thank you. When do you think it's good enough to put them in? 1-2 degree difference?

Wrench said:
If it's going up gradually and the fish do not seem stressed let it be at least until within 1°~.5°
Will do, thanks. The fish are just gently swimming along the edge of the container. I think that means they are curious, but not too stressed.

OP
TimeHalt

TimeHalt

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ready to put them in now. Thanks for your help people, I was ready to have a panic attack for no reason.

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
This may help in the future... I float the bag in my tank for 20 minutes, then using one of those dose cups that come with OTC meds, I add a cup full (30 ml for the cup I have) every 10 minutes for an hour. If the bag gets too full, I drain some out and keep adding. I've never lost a fish with this method.

OP
TimeHalt

TimeHalt

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mongo75 said:
This may help in the future... I float the bag in my tank for 20 minutes, then using one of those dose cups that come with OTC meds, I add a cup full (30 ml for the cup I have) every 10 minutes for an hour. If the bag gets too full, I drain some out and keep adding. I've never lost a fish with this method.
Makes sense. I had bought an acclimation kit (probably overpriced for how cheap the parts are, but hey it works) and I just didn't realize how much more effective it is to have it float in the tank rather than just dripping the tank water in. I thought dripping the tank water it would get the temperature up too, but it's way slower.

FitSoldier

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I use a spare tank heater in my 2 gallon bucket every time I drip acclimate (the weakest heater you can find, usually for small betta tanks). I could never drip acclimate and maintain the same temperature between the bucket and the tank.

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
I think that as soon as the water leaves the tank through a tube, it's going to start cooling, very much like liquid in a radiator will. I like FitSoldier's idea, using a small heater in a bucket would let you drip as much or as little water as you want, and the $$$ you spent on your drip acclimation kit won't be wasted :)

OP
TimeHalt

TimeHalt

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
flyinGourami said:
Personally I'd usually rather float and acclimate to temp than drip acclimate. If you can please post pics of the new fish :D
My iphone camera is quite good but it wants to focus on the plants rather than the puffer..... these are the best I got
1590979873365.png
dishf.jpg

New Threads