Fisch's 125gl Lunacy/Journey? - Page 3

StarGirl

:eek:I was so proud....for the longest time no pest snails in my display tank.
So the Ramshorn is still single, not a problem.
But in spite of peroxyde bath I introduced Bladder snails with the Water Wisteria. so now I am hunting again. See if I can get rid of them a second time around.
Wish me luck!!
Try Alum next time. It works pretty good and doesnt harm your plants. I soak mine over night in it and they are fine.

Fisch

Tomorrow is the day....planning to carjack the tank and level it better. Wish me luck!!

Fisch

Chickened.... next weekend.
Found another piece of wood though,
I have too much wood and need a bigger tank :rolleyes: But this one has a built in Pleco cave.
2022041895184400.jpg

Fisch

Yes, I have Bladder Snails again. Bummer....took out countless egg packets during water change as well as good sized snails, so my hunt is on :eek:
Added two Rabbit Snails today, with being good sized they definitely hide well.

Fisch

As I introduced Bladder Snails on the big tank I am getting back into hunting mode...and in the process found a tiny fry behind the mattenfilter. No clue what it is, big eyes and tiny body, but my guess is it is a Panda Corydoras. Now the little guy has a mossball to hide underneath, and a tiny amount of Daphnia. Wish him/her luck :)

Fisch

The panda is still there, I am debating to get him out of his little prison behind the mattenfilter, and most if the day it is dark down there. At the other hand I don't want him to get eaten in the big tank. I guess I wait one more week.
I have 19 Gold White Cloud Minnows in this tank beside the Neons and Cories.
Today I got 10 more from the classified ads. They are adults and now in the QT.
Interesting seller, he is into breeding zebra plecos. First time ever that I saw those little guys in real life.

BigManAquatics

The panda is still there, I am debating to get him out of his little prison behind the mattenfilter, and most if the day it is dark down there. At the other hand I don't want him to get eaten in the big tank. I guess I wait one more week.
I have 19 Gold White Cloud Minnows in this tank beside the Neons and Cories.
Today I got 10 more from the classified ads. They are adults and now in the QT.
Interesting seller, he is into breeding zebra plecos. First time ever that I saw those little guys in real life.
I need to find a dude like that!

86 ssinit

Yeah zebra plecos are something to see. Back in the 80s I had a pair that I bought for $25. Big money than for fish. Couldn’t keep them alive. I think Coralbandit has a breeding group.

Fisch

Yeah zebra plecos are something to see. Back in the 80s I had a pair that I bought for $25. Big money than for fish. Couldn’t keep them alive. I think Coralbandit has a breeding group.
Yes, he had a 2inch juvenile Zebra in the tank as well. Also L35, I have to ask him again as I cannot find the number in the Pleco library. Very interesting pattern.
He sells a lot on Aquabid.

86 ssinit

If interested you could add a pair of clown loaches. They will eat the snails. But they eat all snails.

Fisch

If interested you could add a pair of clown loaches. They will eat the snails. But they eat all snails.
I noticed some good sized ones in your Discus tank.....my hope is that I can eradicate the bladders manually again. We shall see, wish me luck :rolleyes:
Just have too many 'good' snails and would hate to lose them.

Fisch

The isolated little fish kid behind the Matten filter is definitely a little Panda.
Question do the fish behaviorists: Will unsocialized little Panda Corydoras have trouble when being introduced to other fish?
Found a way how to put the big river log into the tank, marked where to cut it off.
Main problem will be to get it into the tank in one piece. But first it will need to get soaked, tons of little critters need to be evicted.

Fisch

So I planned to get the isolated little Panda into the big tank, just to discover a second one in that filter area. So now what....how do I get the big Panda out without putting the tiny one into harms way. Dilemma and first world problems :)

Fisch

The little Panda got a bit too big behind the filter. So one day I just pulled up the Mattenfilter, he swam into the big tank without hesitation. Now he is trailing his aunts and uncles ;) . The second little fry is nowhere to be found.
Moved two of the Minnows from the QT as they were starting to be bullies in the small tank. The first time I shortened my normally 8 week quarantine to only 3 weeks. Then I am nagging my husband to get the big log cut to the right length before it gets soaked in the bathtub.

Fisch

The last 8 Minnows moved into the tank, such a sudden it looks crowded...hmmm.
I guess I will get over it.
Today is my two year fishkeeping anniversary, what a journey. Could not have done it without the patient support of this awesome forum :)

Fisch

Finally a picture. Background is not ready, and I am holding off on changing too much until I will get my big log into this tank. Let's the adventure continue...

20220530_211721.jpg

Fisch

So there is another tiny Panda baby... good that they moved to a bigger tank :rolleyes:
They are all fun to watch.

Fisch

And another Panda baby, guess I will put some of the little guys into the 20gl Ember tetra tank.

Fisch

The big log is coming along. It is gigantic, and I assume I will have one 60gl of water after the log will fill the volume in the tank. Now I have to think how to get it waterlogged.
One of the new Nerites moved into the tank. Thought originally that it is a Zebra, now it looks more like a Lightning Nerite.
Beautiful and big.

Fisch

50% water changes with buckets are killing me, there has to be a better way.
Python won't work as I am not able to connect it to the faucet. So I am thinking tote and pump.
The log is cut, and it fits....now it needs to soak for a while. The knot holes are abysses of treasures, and need to be cleaned out, looking forward to finally get ot into the tank one day :)

TClare

For our big tanks we have worked out a quick and efficient way of doing water changes. For emptying we use a hosepipe as a siphon, water goes straight into the back garden. For filling we use another, longer hosepipe, my husband made a simple adaptor to fit it onto the kitchen tap (basically a piece of slightly bigger diameter hose fixed on with a jubilee clip). We discovered that if we turn the gas heater down to the minimum setting and open the hot tap full, the water comes out at just the right temperature to fill the tanks. We devised this method for the new biggest tank, the other big one for ages I was filling with buckets. This one is quite a bit further from the kitchen tap but we bought some more hosepipe, and now water changes are much quicker, more efficient and less messy!

Fisch

.... For emptying we use a hosepipe as a siphon, water goes straight into the back garden..
Now I just have to convince my neighbors in the condo below me that a weekly waterfall is nothing to worry about :D
Not having a garden really makes it a bit more difficult. Carrying 10 5gl buckets downstairs to empty is a daunting task.
I will definitely investigate. No storage space to store a tote or bin.

TClare

Carrying 10 5gl buckets downstairs to empty is a daunting task.
Yes, I can imagine, obviously you have a more difficult situation. Could you siphon it down the toilet??

Fisch

Yes, I can imagine, obviously you have a more difficult situation. Could you siphon it down the toilet??
Living in the desert, it seems like such a waste. The majority of the buckets get emptied into the toilet, and I feel bad.

The dark shape in the tub is not a body, but the big log. Soaking close to one week.

20220617_201844.jpg

86 ssinit

Ok wait a minute! Are you soaking that log in the toilet tank?

StarGirl

Looks like the bathtub with 5g buckets holding it down.

I have a 6 inch piece of Mopani making my 55g water yellow after a few months still. You Fisch are not going to see your fish for YEARS.....lol :p

86 ssinit

Ok well that really puts that wood in perspective! Omg it’s big!! And me i was thinking genius clean water with every flush :eek:.

StarGirl

Ok well that really puts that wood in perspective! Omg it’s big!! And me i was thinking genius clean water with every flush :eek:.
Tannin toilet bowl! Where is Dunk2 ....lol

Fisch

That would be a great idea to conserve.. . But you are right, it really looks like it :D
Looks like the bathtub with 5g buckets holding it down.

I have a 6 inch piece of Mopani making my 55g water yellow after a few months still. You Fisch are not going to see your fish for YEARS.....lol :p
It should not be so bad, it is Willow or Poplar wood which does not seem to be as tannin rich. Time change the water today.
I just love the swirls.
20220618_101717.jpg

Fisch

Well, the tank is pretty bare of plants, and as I am not able to grow Vallisneria, I am looking for alternatives. The latest was the attempt to order narrow leaf Sagittaria as the dwarf version survives in my tank. In a total brain blank moment I ordered Pogestemon Octopus instead.
Oh well, see if it survives. Minnows love it as they are hiding in the tangle of leaves. All will be re-arranged anyways when the big log will be placed in the tank. Fun stuff.
At least it looks like I am moving past the stage of new tank syndrom, the Diatoms are slowing down and algea is minimal.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fisch
Replies
Views
druansel
Replies
Views
SterSter
Replies
Views