Fisch's 125gl Lunacy/Journey?

Fisch

So I am ready to pull the plug and start my really big tank. Just after I decided to go with a 90gl I noticed that the 125gl inclusive stand in price will be more cost efficient. I also just noticed that the move will not be as easy in reality as it is in my dreams. Carrying the tank was never as difficult in my dreams :(
I have my 55gl starter tank now since 1 1/2 years, and I am very, very lucky that everything is going smooth, fish are healthy, life is good.
Always mucking with the tank and annoying the inhabitants I realized that the limited depth of the tank would bug me at some point.
The new tank will replace the 55 in the present location and I would like to carry over much of the equipment, plants, substrate.
You think the Fluval 407 and 306 plus several sponge filters are sufficient for the tank? Originally I was thinking HMF, but am not sure if it would be sufficient in a big tank with driftwood and plant obstacles.
I also would like to utilize more sand in the tank to keep the Corys happy. Is black Onyx sand smooth enough? What are alternatives?
Third, I love my Finnex 24/7 light, even if I don't use the fancy features anymore. Unfortunately they don't offer that light in 72". Fluval does neither. Are there any good and comparable alternatives out there in 72" length, or do I have to double up and stagger?
This is the beginning, so I am curious about any input I can get. Mattgirl spurned the idea and I will see if I can get get some of the Cory eggs going :)

mattgirl

oops, yep I have been known to be an enabler. :D

By moving everything from the 55 to the 125 you will not have to go through the cycling process again. I suspect you will have enough filtration with what you have planned. Play it by ear. If you start seeing ammonia you will know there is not quite enough filtration. By moving the cycle over from the 55 you should have enough bacteria to handle the bio-load you have in the 55 right now. The amount of water doesn't determine the amount of bacteria. The bio-load does. If you decide to add more fish do it gradually and the bacteria will catch up to the higher bio-load.

If you hatch some corys the bacteria should grow with them. A big school of corys in this size tank is going to be amazing.

I can't comment on the type of sand. The only kind I've ever used is pool filter sand.

Fisch

Thank you!! There is no plan or rush to increase any school yet, and with the Cory eggs I have to see how successful I will be.
The 55 has only the 407 and the sponges running. I retired the 306, but will add it back to the 55 tank for now to get a start on building bacteria.
My big hope is that I magically can get rid of the Ramshorn snails... by cleaning and cooking the substrate, which means destruction of the existing bacteria in the substrate.
How detrimental would that be? Could the filters alone cover the load?

mattgirl

Thank you!! There is no plan or rush to increase any school yet, and with the Cory eggs I have to see how successful I will be.
The 55 has only the 407 and the sponges running. I retired the 306, but will add it back to the 55 tank for now to get a start on building bacteria.
My big hope is that I magically can get rid of the Ramshorn snails... by cleaning and cooking the substrate, which means destruction of the existing bacteria in the substrate.
How detrimental would that be? Could the filters alone cover the load?
Since you will be losing the bacteria on the substrate and what's left on the glass you will lose a bit of it but with both filters plus the sponge filters I wouldn't expect a problem. If you have plants and will be reusing some decor you should be fine. (be sure to check for snail eggs) Even without them you may still not experience any spikes. If you do have a spike in ammonia/nitrites it should be very short lived.

Too many ramshorns can be a headache. I switched to sand specifically to get a handle on the number of snails in my 55. After switching to sand I added a dozen assassin snails and they took care if the snail invasion for me. I did help them out along the way be removing any climbing on the glass.

I do have ramshorns in another tank but have rabbit snails in there so can't put assassins in it. I just pick them out and move them over to my snail jar.

Fisch

I may add some additional assassins, but do they eradicate ramshorns or just keep them under control?

BigManAquatics

I want a big tank just so i can put a couple oscars in with a common pleco...and because it would irritate the wife something fierce!! However, she might literally kill me over this size of tank.

Fisch

I want a big tank just so i can put a couple oscars in with a common pleco...and because it would irritate the wife something fierce!! However, she might literally kill me over this size of tank.
It is dangerous to irritate the spouse something fierce ;)
Since you will be losing the bacteria on the substrate and what's left on the glass you will lose a bit of it but with both filters plus the sponge filters I wouldn't expect a problem. If you have plants and will be reusing some decor you should be fine. (be sure to check for snail eggs) Even without them you may still not experience any spikes. If you do have a spike in ammonia/nitrites it should be very short lived.

Too many ramshorns can be a headache. I switched to sand specifically to get a handle on the number of snails in my 55. After switching to sand I added a dozen assassin snails and they took care if the snail invasion for me. I did help them out along the way be removing any climbing on the glass.

I do have ramshorns in another tank but have rabbit snails in there so can't put assassins in it. I just pick them out and move them over to my snail jar.
And then you have an assassin snail invasion?
Looked at Black Diamond Blasting SAnd today, not for the Ramshorns, but as additional Substrate.

mattgirl

I may add some additional assassins, but do they eradicate ramshorns or just keep them under control?
They eradicated the population of ramshorns in my tank.
And then you have an assassin snail invasion?
Sorta but nothing like ramshorns and you can actually find folks happy to take some off your hands.

Fisch

They eradicated the population of ramshorns in my tank.

Sorta but nothing like ramshorns and you can actually find folks happy to take some off your hands.
As I am getting my ducks in a row, I may try that. Then I probably should get my Nerites out of the tank for the time being.

mattgirl

As I am getting my ducks in a row, I may try that. Then I probably should get my Nerites out of the tank for the time being.
I agree. I wouldn't take a chance putting assassins in with nerites. It is possible the assassins will stick to ramshorns but I wouldn't want to take the chance that they will get a taste for my pet snails. Ramshorns are easier for them to eat since they don't have a trap door but I still wouldn't chance it.

86 ssinit

Ok good luck with your new tank. 125 is a great tank. Yes remove your nerites and add a few clown loaches. Your snails will disappear and your loaches will grow. They are a great fish that are very durable with personality and longevity. A plus for any tank. Next I will recommend either a wet/dry system or a sump. Either of these will filter your water better and if you use a dc motor to pump your water it will be much cheaper be to run.

Fisch

Ok good luck with your new tank. 125 is a great tank. Yes remove your nerites and add a few clown loaches. Your snails will disappear and your loaches will grow. They are a great fish that are very durable with personality and longevity. A plus for any tank. Next I will recommend either a wet/dry system or a sump. Either of these will filter your water better and if you use a dc motor to pump your water it will be much cheaper be to run.
I would love to get Clown Loaches, but I think the temperature in my tank with 72° may be a bit cold for their taste. I heard they are more the above 75° creatures. And they get pretty big as well.
Sump is interesting, my husband says no to that one. Drilling a tank goes against his handyman nature.
I have to read myself smart with the different options, and how to
I would love to get Clown Loaches, but I think the temperature in my tank with 72° may be a bit cold for their taste. I heard they are more the above 75° creatures. And they get pretty big as well.
Sump is interesting, my husband says no to that one. Drilling a tank goes against his handyman nature.
I have to read myself smart with the different options, and how to run on DC

86 ssinit

Ok yes you didn’t mention what type of fish your keeping. I thought more tropical. As to the wet/dry or sump I’m with your husband I’d never drill a tank. I use overflows. It’s looks like an hob. Even when they drill out the tank they frame around it. But with an overflow there is no drilling. If you’d like pics I can take some :). To me wet/drys are just the best filters. And when you add a dc motor you’ve reduced the amount of electricity used. These dc motors don’t need to be run at full speed. So you can buy a bigger motor and run it at half speed. They are quiet and the ones I use are cheap enough for me to say they’re a bargain.

Fisch

Pictures would be wonderful. For some reason I am not grasping the concept :(

86 ssinit

Ok this is the inside of the tank. Water flows into this
AD4ABA8F-3481-4F85-95FE-F248146AB5E2.jpegthan through the tube goes into the back side
AD2F2941-F1EC-40AA-97D2-1264670B4D05.jpegin Here is a sponge filter. The water flows through this by gravity and into the filter
AE0C818A-5B84-4FBF-BC30-73B47EA91367.jpegthe water flows through the media on the left. Than the pump pumps it back into the tank.
0818BDD7-1D3C-4E39-A771-D427A9608FFE.jpeg This setup moves 800gph.

Fisch

That looks simple enough. That gives you much more flexibility in regards to filter media amount. You ever got wet feed with this setup? Is there a safety mechanism?

86 ssinit

Yes with a power outage the box in the tank will only drain out water to fill the filter below. You have to adjust that yourself. I find if safer than a canister.

Fisch

How many gallons does the small tank hold?

86 ssinit

I’d say full about 20-30g but there is never more than 15g in it. Bought that one on eBay. It’s a 150 aqua link wet fry.

Fisch

Thank you. I will investigate, it is part of the fun. What kind of media is the grey stuff in the big cylinder?

86 ssinit

It’s a fiber floss sold as a roll. But it comes with the filter

jpm995

Your making a smart move op. I went the 55, 90, 150 route and it was a mistake. I was never happy with the 90, should have went right to the 150. Of course i added a 240 gal, 8' long tank after that.

Fisch

Your making a smart move op. I went the 55, 90, 150 route and it was a mistake. I was never happy with the 90, should have went right to the 150. Of course i added a 240 gal, 8' long tank after that.
Are you telling me the 125 is too small?
I am already afraid that the 1500lbs will bee to much for my condo, though it has concrete span flooring.

86 ssinit

Lol 125 is fine till you start wondering where a 180 would fit :). Concrete floors!!! Theres no limit!!!

jpm995

Are you telling me the 125 is too small?
I am already afraid that the 1500lbs will bee to much for my condo, though it has concrete span flooring.
No to me a 125 or 150 is almost the same. The extra height of the 150 is ascetically pleasing but a pain to clean unless you have long arms. Although with concrete floors you could go bigger, a 180 is sounding pretty good.:D

Fisch

Lol 125 is fine till you start wondering where a 180 would fit :). Concrete floors!!! Theres no limit!!!
Nope, living on the second floor I am horrified how to lug the 120 up the stairs without breaking it. The 180 will have to wait for a house without stairs....
No to me a 125 or 150 is almost the same. The extra height of the 150 is ascetically pleasing but a pain to clean unless you have long arms. Although with concrete floors you could go bigger, a 180 is sounding pretty good.:D
Only the space is the limit :)

lojack

So funny and true. I went from a 50 to a 125 last year and thought “wow, it’s the biggest thing I’ve ever seen!” Just last week the better half gave me a thump when I mentioned that “we could fit something larger on this wall.” :confused:

Can’t wait to see pics of what you end up doing.

86 ssinit

Nope, living on the second floor I am horrified how to lug the 120 up the stairs without breaking it. The 180 will have to wait for a house without stairs....

Only the space is the limit :)
The answer is acrylic!! 2 people can carry a 125 with ease.

mattgirl

The answer is acrylic!! 2 people can carry a 125 with ease.
Oh my, we really should start passing out the enabler of the week award around here. You would win it hands down this week. :D

86 ssinit

Oh my, we really should start passing out the enabler of the week award around here. You would win it hands down this week. :D
I’m only here to help :).

Fisch

Fantastic idea....I have a hard time to prevent scratches on glass. Acrylic would look horrible within a year.

86 ssinit

Fantastic idea....I have a hard time to prevent scratches on glass. Acrylic would look horrible within a year.
Well they don’t scratch as easy a they say. I’ve got 4 and they all still look good.

Fisch

Well they don’t scratch as easy a they say. I’ve got 4 and they all still look good.
How long do you have them, and how do you prevent/remove crusties on the wall surface?

86 ssinit

My oldest is around 20yrs. But I bought it last year.
A00E809C-C89F-4E23-9737-D540B98DDA47.pngThe others are between 2-3 yrs.

Fisch

I don't trust myself with acrylic...hard water is just calling for trouble. I know, I know...RO is the solution :)
Back to the wet-dry filter, the intake sits pretty high like by the overflow. How do you make sure the bottom area water circulates well?
In the moment I am sucking out gravel and snails.

jpm995

I have a 240 gal 8' long acrylic tank i ran from 1986 till Superstorm Sandy [2012?] never had a scratch. It's in a shed in my backyard now hoping to restart it someday. Still looks great.

Fisch

I have a 240 gal 8' long acrylic tank i ran from 1986 till Superstorm Sandy [2012?] never had a scratch. It's in a shed in my backyard now hoping to restart it someday. Still looks great.
Want to ship it to Utah? Just kidding... my husband would kill me because there would be no space for furniture. Next house :)

Basil

Very cool! For a short while, since hubby gave the ok, I was contemplating combining my current 75 and one of my 40 breeders into a 125. For several reasons, I decided against it. Main reason was access to all parts of the tank. I can barely reach all areas of my 75. If I ever set up a larger tank, it will be somewhere where I don’t have to have it right against a wall.
So I’ll live vicariously through your project! :D

86 ssinit

Want to ship it to Utah? Just kidding... my husband would kill me because there would be no space for furniture. Next house :)
Utah!! I’m willing to come pick it up!! I’m only about 10 min away :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

jpm995

Utah!! I’m willing to come pick it up!! I’m only about 10 min away :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .
It's a beautiful tank. It called an Undersea Habitat. The guy from Cali that built it carved out a feather rock backround ion the back and sides, drilled holes in it and plugged in dead coral heads. It's one of the most stunning tanks i've ever seen. The builder tried to convince me to go for the 300 gal, it was a foot taller. He said he could much more with the backround, but was afraid the extra weight would be too much. If i can get heat installed in my shed i'll restart it in there.

86 ssinit

Sounds like a nice tank!! Think it deserve’s a picture :).

jpm995

1637104581778.jpeg
Sorry for the bad pic, have to check my old pc for some when in use, used to store on photobucket that didn't end well.

1637106786451.pngW
What a dumb dumb, had pics in my account here

86 ssinit

That is a very nice looking tank!!

jpm995

I was heartbroken when Sandy hit. I had my 240, a 150 freshwater and a 130gal indoor pond. All wiped out. Couldn't get back to the house for days, temp hit mid 30's, and no power and 3' of saltwater in house. Believe it or not some fish survived [gave them to local shop].

Fisch

So what do you have now running?
Here I am slowly sucking the gravel out of my 55gl, it is snail elimination time. Cories seem to like it, they are digging in those areas.
Bathroom starts to look like a fishroom...See if I can snatch the big tank next week.

jpm995

Just running a 2nd hand 55 gal. I really have the bug to upgrade. Not sure if my 240 or 150 tanks still hold water though.

Fisch

Just running a 2nd hand 55 gal. I really have the bug to upgrade. Not sure if my 240 or 150 tanks still hold water though.
Only one way to find out :)

Fisch

So all my plans came to a screeching halt this morning.
After the statement a couple of days ago that multiple tanks would be available to the statement this morning that the last tank was sold 5 minutes ago and that no tank is available statewide (make this nation wide) and that Aqueon discontinued the 125gl line. Oh well, you snooze you loose.
So the upgrade got cancelled, and I will stay with my 55gl for the near future. A bit disappointed, but hey.

jpm995

Only one way to find out :)
I know, i'm waiting to see if i can add a heat pump system to my shed before i start messing with the tank. It's buried behind many things in another shed.

Fisch

So all my plans came to a screeching halt this morning.
After the statement a couple of days ago that multiple tanks would be available to the statement this morning that the last tank was sold 5 minutes ago and that no tank is available statewide (make this nation wide) and that Aqueon discontinued the 125gl line. Oh well, you snooze you loose.
So the upgrade got cancelled, and I will stay with my 55gl for the near future. A bit disappointed, but hey.
So I posed the question regarding discontinuing tanks to Aqueon, and the response was that they plan to discontinue some smaller tanks and the 180gallon. The 125 will be still offered.
So with awakened hope, I will be waiting for my next opportunity :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fisch
Replies
Views
SterSter
Replies
Views
Disc61
Replies
Views