First water change

OP
B

BeginnerFishMum

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
KribensisLover1 said:
I would get a python but I have to say my first water changes with a new faucet and rhe purhon take a Long time. It’s just figuring it out. Gets way easier. Also I would get a Cooper Atkins (or meat) thermometer so you don’t have to wait to check the temp and wait a while. It’s instantaneous.
A python?? Will research. I have a floating thermometer that I put in my bucket when refilling. Today I added half a kettle of boiled water and the rest from the cold tap, dechlorinated it and did a pH test before adding it back into the tank.... I've noticed 2 of you guys saying the longest thing is waiting for water to come up to temp, have I done the wrong thing by forcing the temp up with boiled water?

KribensisLover1

Well Known
Reaction score
BeginnerFishMum said:
A python?? Will research. I have a floating thermometer that I put in my bucket when refilling. Today I added half a kettle of boiled water and the rest from the cold tap, dechlorinated it and did a pH test before adding it back into the tank.... I've noticed 2 of you guys saying the longest thing is waiting for water to come up to temp, have I done the wrong thing by forcing the temp up with boiled water?
No but I really would get an immediate thermometer. The longest time for me is waiting for the thermometer to read the water. You really will have your life changed with the python. Look it up. It’s worth every single penny. It’s the best thing I’ve purchased for fish and I LOVE my acrylic tank but it’s no competition.

KribensisLover1

Well Known
Reaction score
BeginnerFishMum said:
Thanks all... so it would seem my rather naive childhood has me incorrectly siphoning :D
Is it ok for me to try again tomorrow or is it too stressful for the fish children?

Ooh and can I cut a bit off the hoover tube thing so I don't have to buy a new one?

I got mine from amazon so it came faster. I’ve moved tanks so had to get an extension but I can’t tell you enough how much stress time backache and mess it’s saved me.i wasn’t sure bc it said for larger tanks and I had a twenty but it was still so amazing. If I wasn’t so broke I would want to buy it for you bc it’s that amazing

Argos

Reaction score
Just a quick note: I invested in a Python and it basically collects dust now. My water pressure isn't strong enough to create the suction. In addition, my tank/sink elevation positions render the Python useless in filling up the tank as well.

Definitely a case by case basis, but just wanted to make you aware. Unfortunately, I don't think there is an adequate way to check if you have ample water pressure before purchase. I guess you could always return the Python if that is the case.

But when it works, it is pretty nifty.

KinderScout

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
We found fitting a pond hose valve to the end of the siphon helps control. Easier to stop the flow and no need to recharge the siphon between buckets.

If the weather is dry we siphon into buckets to top up the garden water butt. Otherwise we attach a long section of garden hose the the other side of the valve reaching to the back garden drain.
Dunno what the fuss about starting the siphon is - put the siphon head half way in the water and shake it up and down a few times - it should have a flap at the top to help stop the water flowing back before the flow is established (with a little practice).
Not a fan of the Python - looks like it wastes way too much water. Throwing treated water away is expensive in the UK not to say bad for the environment. We recently invested in an 80 litre plastic dustbin and a powerful pond pump. We use the same garden hose after filling the bin to pump water to the tank - about 5 minutes to refill 60 litres (after a 50% wc).
However if you're adding water manually get a plastic collander that you can balance across the top of your tank - pour the water through that as fast as you like it won't disturb even sand substrate.

Argos

Reaction score
The Python can definitely waste a little water; but it doesn't waste treated water (unless I am misunderstanding the statement). When adding water back to the tank, I always just add my conditioner to the main tank. The Python hooks up to your faucet.
I also just use my hand to break the flow of clean water.

The alternative I use is a small hand pumped syphon. Works great!

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
Argos said:
The Python can definitely waste a little water; but it doesn't waste treated water (unless I am misunderstanding the statement). When adding water back to the tank, I always just add my conditioner to the main tank. The Python hooks up to your faucet.

Treated water, as in from the tap, that has been treated at the municipal water works :)

KinderScout

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Argos said:

Don't want to hijack the thread but, for clarity, I wad referring to municipally treated water for supply to homes, which I believe the python uses to create suction from the tank. This is then thrown down the drain to be treated a second d time as sewage. Water in the UK is also generally metered and paid by the cubic metre used.

New Threads