First Water Change-no Change In Ammonia 55 Gallon Tank

1. kayla20johnson

kayla20johnson Valued Member Member

Hey guys! Just did my first water change (Fish in cycle). Everything was at nitrite/nitrate was at 0, Ammonia at .50ppm, and oh at 7.6 BEFORE I did a water change.

I did a 30% water change (approximately) and the ammonia did not change.

What to do? 52fdf2136a8184cf6678d818c7353559.jpg

2. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

If you are using Prime you can add a full dose of it to your tank. The prime will neutralize that small amount of ammonia and make it safe for your fish. As long as the ammonia stays below 1 the prime will take care of it for you. If it goes above 1 you need to do a water change to get it back below 1 and then add a dose of prime. You will need to add prime daily as long as you are registering ammonia.

3. OP
    OP
    kayla20johnson

I did add prime. Should I check it again in say, an hour, to see if it adjusted?

4. mattgirl

The ammonia is still there and will still show up in your ammonia test so you really just have to trust that the prime is doing its job. As long as you added enough prime for the full volume of your tank you should be alright. Just continue to add prime about the same time each day. that way it will be 24 hours between doses. Some folks say you can go 48 hours but I'm not comfortable leaving the ammonia untreated for that long. I would wait and check it after 24 hours to see if it has gone up and that test will tell you if you need to do another water change.

5. OP
    OP
    kayla20johnson

Thank you!

6. mattgirl

You are very welcome.

7. OP
    OP
    kayla20johnson

I’m new to all of this so I’m slightly freaked out and nervous!

8. mattgirl

There is no need to be freaked out and nervous. You have come to the right place to get answers to whatever questions and concerns that come up.

The most important thing to be doing is keeping an eye on the water and changing it as needed. When I last cycled my 55 with fish in it I was doing water changes every other day and once nitrites showed up I was doing it daily. I did that 5 days in a row. The nitrites dropped to zero and my nitrates started rising. That meant my tank was cycled. It took a total of approximately 6 weeks from set up to fully cycled.

9. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Have you tested your source water for ammonia? That might explain the lack of change in ammonia level post-water change.