First Try at Aquascaping

Hunterman11

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I recently got a 10 gallon aquarium with an 18'' floramax bulb so I decided to make a planted aquarium.
I just wanted to know how it looks and maybe some tips or plant suggestions. The plants in the front are dwarf hairgrass, in the back is wisteria, and on the wood is anubia.

Thank you.

alink

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Im not an expert, but I can tell you that both Wisteria and DHG will do better with CO2. You can either get a CO2 (pre-made or DIY), or use Seachem Excel (liquid CO2).

Both will also do better with root tabs as TexasDomer said.

I notice you dont have a heater in the tank. What temp does it get too? Warmer water (76-82) will encourage better growth as well.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Im not an expert, but I can tell you that both Wisteria and DHG will do better with CO2. You can either get a CO2 (pre-made or DIY), or use Seachem Excel (liquid CO2).

Both will also do better with root tabs as TexasDomer said.

I notice you dont have a heater in the tank. What temp does it get too? Warmer water (76-82) will encourage better growth as well.
If it's water wisteria (Hygrophila difformis), it'll grow fine without CO2. Doesn't look like that kind though. What kind is it? Another species of Hygrophila?

Hunterman11

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I live in Florida and it's still 86 out so the water is about 77, but I do have an Eheim heater, I just haven't installed it.
I would love to get some galaxy rasboras, or at least that's what I think there called, but the tank isn't quite cycled, and maybe some Khuli loaches.

alink

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

Hunterman11

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I meant to get water wisteria, but I got hygrophila instead. I don't plan on adding CO2 except the ferts, so should I replace them?Nevermind, I read the thread

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I meant to get water wisteria, but I got hygrophila instead. I don't plan on adding CO2 except the ferts, so should I replace them?
Water wisteria is Hygrophila difformis. Looks like it's the emersed version. Don't know whether than changes the requirements significantly, but immersed Hygrophila difformis does not need CO2.

alink

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Water wisteria is Hygrophila difformis. Looks like it's the emersed version. Don't know whether than changes the requirements significantly, but immersed Hygrophila difformis does not need CO2.
I don't think it NEEDS CO2, but it will grow better with it. At least that is what I have read about it; it won't die without it like some plants would.

I am thinking that is the next step I take for the simple fact that almost any plant will do better with more CO2 available.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't think it NEEDS CO2, but it will grow better with it. At least that is what I have read about it; it won't die without it like some plants would.

I am thinking that is the next step I take for the simple fact that almost any plant will do better with more CO2 available.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app
Agreed, most any plant will have better growth with CO2, but my wisteria grows noticeably with no liquid ferts or CO2 under a Planted Plus. New growth every day - it's very fast.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom