First Timer LF Advice Question 

  • Thread starter

Marilius

New Member
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Points
76
Experience
Just started
Hey all, been doing a lot of research and I've decided to get into fishkeeping. Never had any kind of experience with it before, and looking for some friendly advice.I've done some homework as to the nitrogen cycle, getting a new tank cycled, and various other startup/first time things. I've also decided on a 40 gal tank, and a community of various fish, no real desire for livebreeding, but still can't seem to figure out what specific fish I should get.

My first question is about those quick start kits, with the requisite bacteria included, that get the tank cycled fast. Several guides warn me away from them, and yet I can't help but be attracted to them, and the promise of getting up and running faster.

Secondly, did a rough tally for the initial equiment I was planning to purchase, 40gal tank, a nice stand, pump, heater, lighting, gravel, various knick knacks, all that stuff. Rough tally was aroun 1200 bucks (in fancy Canadian bucks). Is this indicative of an average setup cost? I didn't want to scrimp on a smaller tank, as I wouldnt probably end up not enjoying it as much as a nice big tank, with many fish. But it seems a little higher than I was expecting. If that IS an average cost, I don't mind, but I'd rather not get ripped off.

Lastly, what kinds of fish would you guys recommend? I'd like a large variety if possible.

Thanks for all your advice.

--Matt
 
  • Moderator

jdhef

Moderator
Messages
14,281
Reaction score
3,412
Points
583
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!

The only bacterial additive that works properly is Tetra SafeStart. The other products contain a land based form of the bacteria and die off in about a week or so in an aquatic environment. Hence you are required to add the product on a weekly basis for the life of the tank.

SafeStart on the other hand contains self sustaining aquatic bacteria. You add it once along with 3 or 4 fish and you should be fully cycled in 7-10 days.

I really can't comment on the price since your in Canada, so assume prices vary quite a bit from here in the U.S. But I do think I got my 36 gallon set up for around $500 U.S. Dollars.

Lastly my signature lists what I have in my 36 gallon tank so that can start you off with some ideas.
 

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,744
Reaction score
97
Points
293
Experience
More than 10 years
In a few days I'm going to try the 'instant aquarium' kit with the bacteria-laden substrate in the bag, will definitely post results. Just like any other hobby, how much you are willing to spend on it is really up to you, just be sure to do your research and look at actual user reviews when making your decisions, it'll save you time and $$. Take care!
 

Shine

Well Known Member
Messages
1,256
Reaction score
22
Points
133
Experience
3 years
Not sure where you went to price compare but that seems a bit high. I've seen decent stands and 36-44 G tanks (comes with hood) at petsmart for 200-500$ depending on how fancy you want it to look. Pumps? depends... are you talking about simple air pumps (10-20$), or canister filters? I have aqua clear HOBs and those run to 30-70$ depending on size. Heaters... 20-40$, gravel 20$ for a 10kg/22lb bag... decorations? welll... depends on what you get

...by my tally that's a lot less then the 1200$ you quoted; though I'm not sure what a good canister filter costs if that was what you meant by 'pump'
 
  • Thread starter

Marilius

New Member
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Points
76
Experience
Just started
Shoulda been clearer. Water pump, an air pump, and a canister filter.


Actually I'll be even MORE specific:


that. again with all the other things I mentioned.
 

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Messages
22,717
Reaction score
187
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
+2 ...great job again jdhef!!!
jdhef said:
Welcome to FishLore!

The only bacterial additive that works properly is Tetra SafeStart. The other products contain a land based form of the bacteria and die off in about a week or so in an aquatic environment. Hence you are required to add the product on a weekly basis for the life of the tank.

SafeStart on the other hand contains self sustaining aquatic bacteria. You add it once along with 3 or 4 fish and you should be fully cycled in 7-10 days.

I really can't comment on the price since your in Canada, so assume prices vary quite a bit from here in the U.S. But I do think I got my 36 gallon set up for around $500 U.S. Dollars.

Lastly my signature lists what I have in my 36 gallon tank so that can start you off with some ideas.
Marilius said:
Hey all, been doing a lot of research and I've decided to get into fishkeeping. Never had any kind of experience with it before, and looking for some friendly advice.I've done some homework as to the nitrogen cycle, getting a new tank cycled, and various other startup/first time things. I've also decided on a 40 gal tank, and a community of various fish, no real desire for livebreeding, but still can't seem to figure out what specific fish I should get.

My first question is about those quick start kits, with the requisite bacteria included, that get the tank cycled fast. Several guides warn me away from them, and yet I can't help but be attracted to them, and the promise of getting up and running faster.

Secondly, did a rough tally for the initial equiment I was planning to purchase, 40gal tank, a nice stand, pump, heater, lighting, gravel, various knick knacks, all that stuff. Rough tally was aroun 1200 bucks (in fancy Canadian bucks). Is this indicative of an average setup cost? I didn't want to scrimp on a smaller tank, as I wouldnt probably end up not enjoying it as much as a nice big tank, with many fish. But it seems a little higher than I was expecting. If that IS an average cost, I don't mind, but I'd rather not get ripped off.

Lastly, what kinds of fish would you guys recommend? I'd like a large variety if possible.

Thanks for all your advice.

--Matt
welcome to fishlore Matt!!!
jghef covered it all but just remember, LFS and MOST pet stores are out for YOUR money....we give advice for free
 

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Messages
2,402
Reaction score
47
Points
143
Experience
More than 10 years
As for what to stock. Browse around all your local fish stores and make a list of what you really like. Then go online and do a lot of research....and of course ask here too!!

You tell us all the ones you like best, and you will get wonderful advice based on experiences.
 

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Messages
12,167
Reaction score
69
Points
293
Experience
5 years
Welcome to Fishlore! Excellent advice from everyone above.
 
  • Thread starter

Marilius

New Member
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Points
76
Experience
Just started
Hehe fish stores, plural. there's one pet store here, there's no local shopping around. But I'll see what's available. Thanks for the help so far guys.
 

Shine

Well Known Member
Messages
1,256
Reaction score
22
Points
133
Experience
3 years
wow... where are you at? I regularly make the rounds between 6 different ones here, searching for the best prices and healthiest looking tanks
 
  • Thread starter

Marilius

New Member
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Points
76
Experience
Just started
Yellowknife. Yeah not too much up here. I think there MIGHT be one other, its a kennel mostly, but they carry some pet supplies. I doubt they'd have a great selection, but it's worth checking.
 

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,851
Reaction score
257
Points
403
jetajockey said:
In a few days I'm going to try the 'instant aquarium' kit with the bacteria-laden substrate in the bag, will definitely post results. Just like any other hobby, how much you are willing to spend on it is really up to you, just be sure to do your research and look at actual user reviews when making your decisions, it'll save you time and $$. Take care!
I used the bacterial substrate last April and it worked. Took about 3 weeks with fish and I did no water changes during that time.
 

Shine

Well Known Member
Messages
1,256
Reaction score
22
Points
133
Experience
3 years
That explains the prices! You could probably buy a lot of the smaller stuff online; some of the online aquarium sites have free shipping if the order is more then 50-80$. The fun is finding the ones that'll ship to Canada. Plenty of them offer free shipping to 'continental US' but not anywhere else. I don't imagine that shipping a tank would be all that feasible though--breakage and size of the box might make it expensive.... and frustrating. Still... might be worth looking into.
 
  • Thread starter

Marilius

New Member
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Points
76
Experience
Just started
No, I'm definitely getting the tank in town. And obviously the FISH. but everything else I can grab somewhere else. Sounds like I'd have lots of time for shipping given the time I'll need to cycle it properly.
 

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,744
Reaction score
97
Points
293
Experience
More than 10 years
AlyeskaGirl said:
I used the bacterial substrate last April and it worked. Took about 3 weeks with fish and I did no water changes during that time.
thanks!
 

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Messages
39,060
Reaction score
337
Points
458
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fish Lore Marilius!
I hope you enjoy the site and the hobby.
Ken
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom