First Time With Ich. Need Help! Help

1. devyn5

devyn5 New Member Member

Hello,
    first time with ich. I just noticed that my 2 year old severums have got Ich. I am almost positive they got it from my new Yo Yo loaches i added to the tank. I know rookie mistake thinking i didn't have to quarantine my new fish... well i have ich in my 56 gallon planted community tank.
    my stock is:
    1 Red Tail Shark
    8 Albino Corydoras
    2 Panda Corydoras
    3 Yo yo Loaches
    2 Female Yellow Severums

I have went out to my local fish store and they told me to purchase Kordon Rapid Cure for my tank. I did inform them i have loaches and Corydoras, however he owner insisted on using this product despite it saying on the back do not use on scaleless fish! I purchased it anyways and added to my tank and raised the temp to 83 degrees so far. However instead of using the recommended dose of 1 drop per gallon i did a little half than less and did only 20 drops. i am very nervous about losing my yo yo loaches and my cories.. so they told me to do half the dose and see how my other fish do with the medication.

I just want to see if there is a way to speed up the process of if i am endangering my other fish by doing this method! Any help is welcomed! thanks!
    here are a few pictures of my Severums. I have noticed that my one severum has started turning greyish in a few spots also both my severums started shedding their slime coat i believe. i could be wrong but there something they are shedding!

Attached Files:

2. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

Slowly turn your heat up to 86F and leave it there for 2 weeks. Vac gravel every 2 days to suck up spores. At the end was of 2 weeks slowly lower temp back down. That’s all you have to do. No need for meds.

3. Wobbegong

Wobbegong Well Known Member Member

If you have decent sized plastic tub or a spare tank you can use it for the loaches. I have used ich products on corys and they do fine, maybe just don't do as large of a dose.

4. OP
    OP
    devyn5

devyn5 New Member Member

Would raising the temp that high kill my cories? I thought they couldn't be in a tank more that 78 degrees?
    also i do have a new tank fully cycled. however i dont want to risk that tank getting ich by putting the loaches and cories in there!

5. Wobbegong

Wobbegong Well Known Member Member

Raising the temperature speeds up the ich so its life cycle goes faster. If there are no fish in the new tank you could just treat it with the normal ich meds after the loaches leave. One of the best ways to treat fish disease is to do daily water changes, it is a lot of work but the extra clean water helps make sure the fish are not as stressed and their immune systems are good. Also try gravel vacing the bottom to pick up any spores.

6. OP
    OP
    devyn5

devyn5 New Member Member

Oh yes i have no problem with the water changes. i did do a 30% water change before i even put the treatment in and i vacuumed the substrate as best as i can! I am aware of the life cycle going faster for the ich. my concern is will it harm my cooler water cories? the new tank does have fish, my Dragon Goby, rope eel, and golden tetras are in there.
    I also would like to know if i should buy a new separate hose vacuum for my other large tanks so i am not cross contaminating?

7. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

It's only temporary, so they should be fine as long as you lower it when you think it's done.

8. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

My Goldie’s prefer 65 - 70F but they handled the increased temp just fine. It’s only a temporary situation. I use to use Rapid Cure and it was good but one strain of ich didn’t respond to it. It was then that I stopped using meds and went solely to the temp and vac method. As far as new vac, you can either do that or bleach the vac after use. If you do that, rinse with Prime and water to be sure chlorine is removed.

9. OP
    OP
    devyn5

devyn5 New Member Member

awesome thanks everyone! i will raise the temp and water change every other day! will let everyone know how it goes!

10. OP
    OP
    devyn5

devyn5 New Member Member

Hi. It’s been 5 days of higher temp in the tank and I feel that it has been working well for my bottom dwelling fish, however my Severum are still covered with ich. My one Severum is not doing so well she is clamped and spends almost all of her time at the top of the surface. Not sure what more I can do at the moment