First time with baby fry

Darlene
Our black molly had fry this morning, so far we have found 6 that are still alive and have moved them into a net in our 20 gal tank. Our problem is our ammonia has gone up in the last couple of days to 1 ppm and our nitrites are also at 1 ppm. My question is would it be ok on the fry to be doing a water change every day to try and keep the levels down? We are pretty new to having fish and this is the first time we have every had fry. We also have a 5 gallon tank with just a mystery snail in it now. The ammonia level in there is at 0, but the nitrites are also at 1 ppm, would it be better to move the little guys over there, and would our snail bother them. Thanks

Shawnie
Yes burnham it would be beneficial to do water changes DAILY until your readings are 0 treating your tap water with prime or some other water conditioner...

are your tanks new? and IMO, I would move them to the 5 gallon because fry need clean water and just about perfect water perimeters and in the 5 gallon, its much easier to do 50% water changes a day..although the 20 gallon needs it also but at least in the smaller tank, they won't be eaten by mom..I don't think the snail will be fast enough to catch them...goodluck

Darlene
Our tanks have been running for about 2 months now. Thanks for your help.

Shawnie
wow I wonder what started a minI cycle then...hmmm I would think a 20 and 5 gallon wouldnt take that long to cycle..and your welcome...hope things work out ok

Darlene
I'm not sure what happened with the cycle. We are treating one of our fish with the Maracyn-two because she had this white flI'm all over her body was hiding, which is not is not like her, and had popeye. I don't know if that would affect anything or not. Unfortunately we didn't know about cycling before we set up our tanks and only ran them for about 2 days before adding fish. So that could be where our problems are coming from maybe...

We have moved our little guys to the small tank and I'm doing a 50% water change this morning with prime added like you suggested. All of them made it through the night, and we even found one more that must have been hiding in the breeding grass. I know that there is at least one more in the big tank I can not catch to get out.

Darlene
On a side note do I need to add more of the prime that what the bottle says if I'm using it as the water conditioner?

Latest threads

Top Bottom