20 Gallon Tank First time stocking...

je0409

I'm currently cycling a 20 gallon tank as a present for my boyfriend. He really wants a betta and some ADFs, so I had planned to put in 1 betta and 3 ADFs. I also really want to put in some snails for clean up. I was thinking nerites. I was also thinking about putting some kind of shrimp in the tank. My question is how much can I stock a 20 gallon? Is the betta plus ADFs plus snails plus shrimp too much?? How many snails should I do? How many shrimp and what kind are compatible with ADFs and bettas? Any advice is appreciated!!

smalli

I'm currently cycling a 20 gallon tank as a present for my boyfriend. He really wants a betta and some ADFs, so I had planned to put in 1 betta and 3 ADFs. I also really want to put in some snails for clean up. I was thinking nerites. I was also thinking about putting some kind of shrimp in the tank. My question is how much can I stock a 20 gallon? Is the betta plus ADFs plus snails plus shrimp too much?? How many snails should I do? How many shrimp and what kind are compatible with ADFs and bettas? Any advice is appreciated!!
I would do 1 FEMALE betta because males can be aggressive and for that, i would rather do 4 mystery snails or 3 nerite snails (not sure if i spelled that correct) I had 4 mystery snails and they did an ok job at the glass but from what i hear mystery snails are more active and do a not so good job and nerite snails do a very good job but aren't as active. So if you are ok with cleaning algae once in a while i say go with 4 mystery snails or 3 but idk your choice i would go with 2-4 or something
EDIT: i have no clue about shrimp or adf's

Upvote 0

Bruinfishkeeper1

Don't worry your stocking is VERY low. For snails it depends upon the Snail and the amount. You can easily add more fish. I would keep the ADF's and snails and the betta and then add a schooling fish such as Small-Medium Tetras and Rasboras. Try Black Neon Tetras (diffrent species than the regular Neon Tetras), Celestial Pearl Danios, Lemon Tetras, Ember Tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, Chili Rasboras and many more!

Upvote 0

Broggy

the African dwarf frogs would eat the shrimp in a heartbeat I feel like. but it depends on how densely planted/decorated.

are there any other fish you think your boyfriend would enjoy? something the frogs couldn't eat.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Hi! What a nice gift and smart decision cycling before hand. With a betta (can be male it female both can act the same so it’s your choice) and 3 ADF I’d say your pretty low stocked. You have some room for something like a small schooler like 6-8 ember tetra or chili rasboras. But if you don’t want a schooler then you can get something like Pygmy corys. Snails can absolutely fit in and you can do a few nerites or a nerite and mystery snail. But beware if you get a female nerite it will lay some eggs all around the tank that don’t hatch in freshwater and are just annoying. Mystery snails are fun to have and have a lot of personality for a snail. I’m not so sure about shrimp because bettas are known to attack shrimp. Will this be a planted tank?

Upvote 0

Bruinfishkeeper1

Yeah true totally forgot to mention that. ADF's will prob eat Neocardinas. You can try things like Amanos are even Bamboos or the Giant shrimps.

Upvote 0

Broggy

AggressiveAquatics don't nerite snails not breed in freshwater? I think they need brackish

edit: nvm I misread your reply

Upvote 0

je0409

Hi! What a nice gift and smart decision cycling before hand. With a betta (can be male it female both can act the same so it’s your choice) and 3 ADF I’d say your pretty low stocked. You have some room for something like a small schooler like 6-8 ember tetra or chili rasboras. But if you don’t want a schooler then you can get something like Pygmy corys. Snails can absolutely fit in and you can do a few nerites or a nerite and mystery snail. But beware if you get a female nerite it will lay some eggs all around the tank that don’t hatch in freshwater and are just annoying. Mystery snails are fun to have and have a lot of personality for a snail. I’m not so sure about shrimp because bettas are known to attack shrimp. Will this be a planted tank?
It is a planted tank. Not densely planted at all, with on Amazon Sword, a small piece of driftwood with a small anubias attached to it, a wisteria, a temple compacta, small bunch of cardinalis, and three moss balls. Most of the plants are kinda close together on one side of the tank and the driftwood and a hide are on the other side so there's lots of empty space in the middle. I also have a good bit of brown algae all over everything in my tank. Should I do something about this or will it go away on it's own or will the snails be able to take care of it?

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

It is a planted tank. Not densely planted at all, with on Amazon Sword, a small piece of driftwood with a small anubias attached to it, a wisteria, a temple compacta, small bunch of cardinalis, and three moss balls. Most of the plants are kinda close together on one side of the tank and the driftwood and a hide are on the other side so there's lots of empty space in the middle. I also have a good bit of brown algae all over everything in my tank. Should I do something about this or will it go away on it's own or will the snails be able to take care of it?
Not sure if the snails will touch brown algae. But it’s normal to get some weird algae growth in a new tank while the nutrients balance out. You can wipe it away or over time it should go away

Upvote 0

je0409

Not sure if the snails will touch brown algae. But it’s normal to get some weird algae growth in a new tank while the nutrients balance out. You can wipe it away or over time it should go away
Do you know of anything else that would go with my other stocking plans that would might work better for cleaning up brown algae? I've tried wiping everything down and washing my decorations but everytime it comes right back with a vengence.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Do you know of anything else that would go with my other stocking plans that would might work better for cleaning up brown algae? I've tried wiping everything down and washing my decorations but everytime it comes right back with a vengence.
You could try this stocking.
1 betta
6 Otocinclus these will eat your algae and like to be in groups.
6 ember tetras or chili rasboras
What filter do you have?

Upvote 0

je0409

You could try this stocking.
1 betta
6 Otocinclus these will eat your algae and like to be in groups.
6 ember tetras or chili rasboras
What filter do you have?
I have the Top Fin Silentstream Power Filter with a bag of Biomax that I added. I'm also pretty set on the ADFs along with the betta because that's what my boyfriend really wants. Thanks for the suggestion though!!

Upvote 0

Bruinfishkeeper1

Schooling fish wise if your going with either the ember tetras or chili Rasboras I would go with ember tetras in your case. You described yourself as a new fishkeeper and IMO chili Rasboras are not for new fishkeepers. They aren't really hardy and require specific water Parameters. I would go with the ember tetras if i were you! Maybe the Betta+7-8 (maybe even more but start with this number) ember tetras+3 ADF (african dwarf frogs)+2-3 nerites. Ive seen my nerites munch on brown diatom algae, but if it gets to out of hand then just simply wipe it off and eventually your tank will become more balanced and you won't have any.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

I think that your stocking sounds good (you could add some more fish like AggressiveAquatics said). I would keep bettas and ADFs together with caution. If your betta is not aggressive, these two will work fine together, but an aggressive betta will most likely bully an ADF to death. Also, ADFs can be messy eaters which could cause a lot of ammonia. Cherry shrimp and other shrimp like them would get eaten but Amanos might be safe... I would do nerite snails since I feel Myster snails hurt more than they help.... If you want to add other fish, a school (6+) Harlequin Rasboras or Pygmy corys (need sand) would look cool.
EDIT: Article on adding a betta to a community tank: The secrets to adding your betta to a community tank

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Are you set on a betta? If not you could do 3 ADF and 10 chili rasboras or ember tetras and 6 Ottos for plus whatever snails and shrimp you want

Upvote 0

Broggy

just to go along with AggressiveAquatics ottocinclus suggestion, be sure to have a little algae for them to eat at all times, so keep the light on an hour or 2 more.

they are picky eaters, and are more comfortable with algae in the tank.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

just to go along with AggressiveAquatics ottocinclus suggestion, be sure to have a little algae for them to eat at all times, so keep the light on an hour or 2 more.

they are picky eaters, and are more comfortable with algae in the tank.
Oh yeah. The reason I suggested them is because they have brown algae that keeps coming back

Upvote 0

je0409

Okay so, I was pretty sure my tank was done cycling when I first made this thread but was still watching it for a few days and today I finally went and got some animals. I ended up with 1 male betta, 3 ADFs, 2 mystery snails, and 3 nerite snails. And you guys are right- it looks like I have almost nothing in there lol. Does anyone have any recommendations of some pretty schooling fish I could put in? Ik some have already suggested things but I wanna make sure they'll be okay with this specific stocking!! Thanks!!!

Upvote 0

Broggy

Okay so, I was pretty sure my tank was done cycling when I first made this thread but was still watching it for a few days and today I finally went and got some animals. I ended up with 1 male betta, 3 ADFs, 2 mystery snails, and 3 nerite snails. And you guys are right- it looks like I have almost nothing in there lol. Does anyone have any recommendations of some pretty schooling fish I could put in? Ik some have already suggested things but I wanna make sure they'll be okay with this specific stocking!! Thanks!!!
can we see a pic of the tank? maybe then we can make a recommendation on what would look pretty in there.

Upvote 0

Bruinfishkeeper1

I would go with 7-10 ember tetras for a schooling fish. IMO they are nice and hardy compared to chili rasboras and neon tetras.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

or you could do 10 micro rasboras

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BadhbhCatha
Replies
Views
Skittlesttr75